| [ Web Proxy ] |
| Viewing: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/attempted-murder-incident-must-not-11102624 | [Back] [Original] |
"One shocking incident must not be allowed to define Stokes Croft". These are a councillor's words after an incident over the weekend which left three people injured and a man being arrested on suspicion of attempted murder.
Emergency services were called to Stokes Croft at around 6.30am yesterday (Sunday, August 9) after a crash which followed "an incident of disorder".
Three people were injured, with one person being taken to hospital, as pictures showed a shop had been damaged.
A man, believed to be the driver of the car, was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and dangerous driving.
In an update today, Avon and Somerset Police said he remains in custody and the investigation is ongoing.
Councillor Abdul Malik, who represents the Ashley ward, has said this incident "must not be allowed to define Stokes Croft".
He said his thought are with those who were injured, their families and witnesses who saw the incident. He has said there is "understandable concern" amongst locals since the incident.
Cllr Malik said: "Naturally, an incident of this seriousness will cause concern locally. Stokes Croft is an important, vibrant and well-known part of Bristol, and people should be able to live, work and enjoy a night out there without fear of serious violence.
"My message is clear: one shocking incident must not be allowed to define Stokes Croft.
"I have spoken with people locally about what happened, and there is understandable concern, particularly given the seriousness of the reported injuries. My thoughts are first and foremost with those who were injured, their families and everyone who witnessed what must have been an extremely distressing incident.
"I want to thank the police, ambulance service and other emergency responders who attended. When something this serious happens, a rapid and coordinated response is vital.
"Stokes Croft has always had a unique character and is home to residents, independent businesses, artists and a thriving night-time economy.
"We will not allow violence to become the story of Stokes Croft. Our response must be to support the community, maintain public confidence and work with the police, council, businesses and residents to keep the area safe."
Cllr Tim Wye and Cllr Izzy Russell, who both are also councillors for Ashley, added: This is a horrific crime, and we wish the three victims a quick recovery.
"Wed like to thank the emergency workers who attended the scene and we acknowledge the extra police patrols in the area.
Choose Bristol Live as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
[Google Preferred Source Badge]At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Accept| Web Proxy Viewer | New URL | Original Page |