BBC loses rights to another iconic sporting event as coverage moves behind paywall
The BBC has lost the rights to a number of sporting events in recent years and another has been added to the list
The BBC's coverage of live sport has been dealt another blow with the news that the Rugby League World Cup is coming off free-to-air TV. The most recent edition in 2022 was covered live by the Beeb but it's all change this time around. This year's edition was originally slated for 2025, only for host nation France to pull out. It will instead be played in Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea, with the first match set for October 15.
That opener won't be shown on the BBC, though, and nor will any of the other matches. Premier Sports is the new host, meaning fans will have to pay for a subscription in order to take in the action. It isn't the first time they have shown the tournament - they held the rights in 2013 and 2017 - but it shows the return to free-to-air television was a short-lived one. It has been reported that the BBC did not even bid for the rights on this occasion Tournament organisers International Rugby League confirmed the agreement, which relates to UK and Ireland coverage, on Tuesday. Premier Sports subscriptions begin at 12.99 per month in the UK.
The news comes after the BBC relinquished rights to a number of other major events in recent years. These include the Commonwealth Games, which aired on TNT Sports this summer, while the Boat Race was picked up by Channel 4.
However, the broadcaster has retained the rights to other competitions including the World Cup and Wimbledon. It was the sole broadcaster of live Wimbledon coverage in the UK in 2026 and shared the World Cup with ITV.
Lisa Nandy, the UK's culture secretary, called on International Rugby League to find a solution to get some form of coverage on free-to-air TV before the start of the tournament. "Rugby league is a source of pride and identity that brings communities together across the country, the MP for Wigan said.
As a fan myself, I wholeheartedly share fans disappointment that the upcoming World Cup will not be on free-to-air television. I urge the International Rugby League to work with UK free-to-air broadcasters, so the millions of fans can follow the tournament.
EXPRESS SPORT ON FB! Get all the best sports news and much more on our Facebook page
Premier Sports CEO Richard Sweeney said: "We are delighted to be bringing the Rugby League World Cup back to Premier Sports viewers, having previously broadcast the tournament in 2013 and 2017.
"This is one of the major events in the international sporting calendar and we are looking forward to showing every match from the men's tournament live, alongside extensive coverage of the IRL Women's and Wheelchair tournaments.
"England's opening match against Tonga promises to be a fascinating contest, and our full studio presentation around every England fixture will give supporters expert insight, analysis and reaction throughout the tournament," he added.
"Premier Sports has a proud history with rugby league, from the 2013 and 2017 World Cups to our more recent coverage of the Rugby League Championship. We are excited to bring that experience and commitment to this tournament and to showcase the very best of the international game."