| [ Web Proxy ] |
| Viewing: https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/hosepipe-ban-six-counties-thursday-37426413 | [Back] [Original] |
Hundreds of thousands of households will be banned from using hosepipes from this week as Ireland's scorching weather continues to put water supplies under severe pressure.
Uisce Eireann has confirmed a Water Conservation Order, commonly known as a hosepipe ban, will come into force from 12.01am on Thursday, July 16, and remain in place until 11.59pm on Wednesday, August 26.
The restrictions will affect individuals across Dublin, south Tipperary and parts of Kildare, Meath, Wexford and Wicklow.
The utility said the ban is needed after weeks of exceptionally warm and dry weather sent water demand soaring, putting significant pressure on treatment plants, reservoirs and the wider water network.
Across the country, household water use is currently running at around 20 per cent above normal, driven largely by non-essential outdoor activities such as watering gardens, washing cars and filling paddling pools.
In the Greater Dublin Area, which includes parts of Kildare, Meath and Wicklow, daily water demand recently reached 693 million litres. That is around 50 million litres higher than the average recorded so far this year.
Water supplies are also under strain in parts of Wexford and south Tipperary, where treatment plants are producing significantly more water each day than the average demand seen last year.
Under the Water Conservation Order, households and businesses will not be allowed to use garden hosepipes or water for other non-essential purposes while the restrictions remain in place.
Despite the ban only applying in certain areas, Uisce Eireann is urging people across Ireland to do their bit by cutting back on unnecessary water use.
Households, farms and businesses can help by hanging up the hose, putting the power washer away, reusing household water in the garden, checking for leaks and leaking toilets, taking shorter showers and using water only where it is needed.
Margaret Attridge, Head of Water Operations at Uisce Eireann, said protecting drinking water supplies for homes, hospitals, vulnerable people, farms, businesses and other essential services was the organisation's top priority.
She said the prolonged spell of hot and dry weather had driven water demand to exceptionally high levels and urged households, businesses and communities to reduce non-essential water use while the restrictions are in place.
Uisce Eireann said it has already stepped up leak repairs, pressure management and other measures to protect supplies, but warned the hosepipe ban is now necessary to ensure enough treated drinking water is available for essential needs.
The utility will continue monitoring water demand and weather conditions throughout the summer.
The restrictions could be lifted before August 26 if supplies recover, or extended if dry conditions continue.
Full details of the affected areas, including an interactive map, are available here.
Subscribe to our newsletter for the latest news from the Irish Mirror direct to your inbox: Sign up here.
Choose Irish Mirror as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
[Google Preferred Source Badge]At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Accept| Web Proxy Viewer | New URL | Original Page |