[ Web Proxy ]
URL:
Viewing: https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/spain-horror-crash-live-updates-37360789 [Back]  [Original]

Spain horror crash live updates as Irish victims named after holiday tragedy - Irish Mirror


Skip to main content
Irish Mirror: the latest news, showbiz, football and sport
LIVELast updated 29th June 2026

Spain horror crash live updates as Irish victims named after holiday tragedy

Three Irish people have died and another is seriously injured after a motorway crash near Malaga.

The vehicle involved in the collision and the emergency services personnel who attended the scene.(Image: Real Cuerpo de Bomberos de Malaga)

Three Irish people have died and another is seriously injured following a crash in Spain in the early hours of Sunday morning. The Department of Foreign Affairs is now providing assistance to their families.

The crash happened outside the busy tourist town of Malaga at around 2.30am. Two women and one man lost their lives while another man sustained serious injuries.

All four are believed to be from Mullingar in Co Westmeath and aged in their late 20s or early 30s.

The car they were travelling in was in a collision with another vehicle and careered down an embankment of the A-7 motorway. There was a major response from the Emergency services, with firefighters, ambulance crews and police rushing to the scene of the collision.

It's understood their families in Ireland have been told of the collision and consular officials are providing help for them. Family members are travelling to the city in southern Spain.

We'll bring you the latest on this tragedy below.

New Updates

Key Events

Victims named locally
View Post
Minister for Foreign Affairs Helen McEntee described the crash as an "an ab
View Post
Picture from the scene
View Post
What we know so far
View Post
29th Jun13:52 BST
Victims named locally

The Irish victims of the Spanish holiday road smash have now been named locally in their home town.

They were all from Mullingar in Co Westmeath and included a young couple.

The couple were Mark McCullagh and Michaela Newcombe, who were both in their early 30s.

The third victim was Amy McCullagh, who was married to Marks brother, Ian.

Ian, who was 35, survived the horror crash near Malaga in southern Spain in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Ian is critically ill in hospital in Spain on Monday afternoon.

29th Jun12:21 BST
Minister for Foreign Affairs Helen McEntee described the crash as an "an absolutely devastating accident."

Minister McEntee offered her condolences to the families and said both her department and An Garda Sochna reached out immediately to them.

"It is a tragic accident, a tragic incident and the most important thing now is their families are supported and given every assistance possible."

29th Jun11:25 BST
'Absolutely devastating'

Minister of State and TD from Co Westmeath Robert Troy said he knows one of the families involved and said they received the absolutely devastating news on Sunday evening.

I spoke to them yesterday and needless to say theyre absolutely devastated, he told RT.

Its the worst of phone calls to get, they only went on holidays at the end of last week.

He added: Our thoughts are with that family and indeed all families affected and all we can do is hold them in our thoughts and prayers as they come to terms with this great loss.

He said that the local community was also devastated and saddened at the news.

29th Jun11:22 BST
Picture from the scene

The vehicle involved in the collision and the emergency services personnel who attended the scene.(Image: Real Cuerpo de Bomberos de Malaga)

29th Jun11:01 BST
Crash location

The crash happened outside the busy tourist town of Malaga at around 2.30am on Sunday.

The car the Irish group were travelling in was in a collision with another vehicle and careered down an embankment of the A-7 motorway.

It happened on what is regarded as a very dangerous stretch of this busy motorway near Cerrado de Caldern.

There was a major response from the Emergency services, with firefighters, ambulance crews and police rushing to the scene.

29th Jun10:19 BST
Families travelling to Malaga

It is understood that the families of the four people involved in the crash have been informed and are travelling from Ireland to Malaga.

The Department of Foreign Affairs is now providing assistance to the families.


29th Jun10:18 BST
Vehicle plunged 100 feet down embankment

Fergal MacErlean, an Irish journalist based in Malaga, told RTE's Morning Ireland that the vehicle containing the four Irish citizens plunged around 30m - or 100 feet - down an embankment after colliding with another vehicle, believed to be driven by a woman in her mid 60s.

29th Jun10:17 BST
What we know so far

Three Irish people have died and another is seriously injured following a crash in Spain in the early hours of Sunday morning.

The crash happened outside the busy tourist town of Malaga at around 2.30am.

Two women and one man lost their lives while another man sustained serious injuries.

All four are believed to be from Mullingar in Co Westmeath and aged in their late 20s or early 30s.

Follow Irish Mirror:





2026 a Reach plc subsidiary
reach logo [reach logo]

At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.

Accept
Web Proxy Viewer  |  New URL  |  Original Page