[ Web Proxy ]
URL:
Viewing: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/fireworks-set-near-birkenhead-tunnel-34463621 [Back]  [Original]



Skip to main content
Liverpool Echo: Latest Liverpool and Merseyside news sports and whats on

Fireworks set off near Birkenhead Tunnel hours after wildfire emergency alert

The incident came just hours after an emergency alert was issued to millions of mobile phones across England and Wales

Fireworks set off near Birkenhead tunnel on Friday night(Image: Gareth Smith)

Fireworks were set off by a group of youths just hours after millions of people were warned of the "very high risk" of wildfires across the country. An incident manager for Merseyside Police confirmed officers were called to the area near the entrance to the Birkenhead Tunnel on Friday night (August 14) after fireworks were reportedly being set off.


A witness said the group had been setting off fireworks for around 10 minutes before scattering at around 10.10pm when police arrived. Police remained at the scene to check for any embers before later leaving the area.


The incident came just hours after an emergency alert was issued to millions of mobile phones across England and Wales warning people not to do anything that could spark a fire, including setting off fireworks.


The alert was sent at around 7pm and warned of a very high risk of wildfires nationally. People were also urged to report any signs of fire immediately by calling 999.

The full emergency alert said: There is a very high risk of wildfires nationally.

Residents, landowners and visitors should not undertake any activity that could start a fire, including disposable barbecues, firepits, garden incinerators or fireworks.


Even a small flame can rapidly develop into a major wildfire placing lives, homes, businesses and emergency responders at risk.

Follow official updates and report signs of fire immediately by calling 999. Search gov.uk/alerts for more information.

The warning came as firefighters continued to battle wildfires across parts of the country, with more than 1,000 wildfires recorded so far this year.


Prime Minister Andy Burnham has also announced a ban on disposable barbecues amid the heightened fire risk.

First Secretary Louise Haigh said the Government had issued the alert because of the continued threat posed by wildfires.

She said: In response to the continued risk proposed by wildfires, the government has taken the decision to issue an Emergency Alert to England and Wales.


This is the most extensive use of the UKs Emergency Alert system in response to an active incident, and reflects the seriousness with which the government is acting to safeguard people and property.

For the latest news and breaking news visit liverpoolecho.co.uk/news

Get all the big headlines, pictures, analysis, opinion and video on the stories that matter to you by signing up to our daily and breaking newsletter.

Article continues below

Sign up to our breaking news newsletter here.

Follow us on Twitter @LivECHONews - the official Liverpool ECHO Twitter account - real news in real time.

We're also on Facebook/theliverpoolecho - your must-see news, features, videos and pictures throughout the day from the Liverpool ECHO.

ENJOYED THIS STORY?

Choose Liverpool Echo as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.

Google Preferred Source Badge [Google Preferred Source Badge]




2026 a Reach plc subsidiary
reach logo [reach logo]

At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.

AcceptFireworks set off near Birkenhead Tunnel hours after wildfire emergency alert - Liverpool Echo
Web Proxy Viewer  |  New URL  |  Original Page