[ Web Proxy ]
URL:
Viewing: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/four-words-teenage-birkenhead-park-34222711 [Back]  [Original]

Stabbed teenager told man who found him 'I love you, bro' - Liverpool Echo


Skip to main content
Liverpool Echo: Latest Liverpool and Merseyside news sports and whats on

Stabbed teenager told man who found him 'I love you, bro'

A man had been walking home from a night out when he found the teenager with serous wounds to his hand, stomach and thigh

Police in Birkenhead Park (Image: Liverpool ECHO)

A teenager slashed and stabbed in an attack inside Birkenhead Park told a man who carried him to the exit "I love you, bro". The 19-year-old victim was stabbed and slashed during the attack in the early hours of Sunday and suffered a serious laceration to his hand and stomach as well as a wound to his thigh.


Officers were called at around 1.45am and the teenager was taken to hospital for treatment for his injuries which were not described as life-threatening. The ECHO can reveal the stricken teen was first found by a man walking home from a night out who carried him to the park's exit before waiting with him until the police's arrival.


The 27-year-old local man, who the ECHO has agreed not to name, said: "I came across the victim sitting on a bench by the croc pond. He shouted 'help me bro'. I asked if he was okay but was hesitant to go over as it was pitch black.


"As he lifted his hand I could see he had been attacked. His injury was gruesome. He was already on the phone to the emergency services when I arrived [but] not for long I don't think.

"He was sat about a five minute walk from the nearest exit. I told him that he couldn't stay where he was as the ambulance could not get to him. I took the phone off him, stood him up and put his non-injured hand over my shoulder.

"I then walked him to the exit. He was struggling to breathe and was saying he couldn't make it to the gate. I told him that he would have to push through. When we got to the exit I helped him to the floor and started what first aid I could.


"He was losing a lot of blood from his hand so I took off my belt and used it to slow the bleeding. I also had a tight hold around his wrist with both of my hands. At this time I didn't realise that he had multiple stab wounds."

Police tape in Birkenhead Park after a teenager was attacked on Sunday, June 28(Image: Liverpool Echo)

The man said he stayed with the injured teenager until the police arrived at the scene. He added he showed the police the location where he found the victim and was asked what he knew before he was sent on his way.


The man said: "[The victim] did not say much that I can remember as I was speaking to the 999 operator giving his details and our location. It was all a panic but I remember him asking my name and him saying 'I love you, bro'."

A 15-year-old boy was arrested on suspicion of section 18 wounding with intent on Tuesday. Detective Inspector Phil Ryan said: "Our investigation into this incident is gathering pace and a suspect is currently in custody.

"I hope this reassures our community how seriously we take reports of this nature. Violence on our streets and in our local parks will never be tolerated. Although we have now made an arrest, we are still appealing for anyone with information to come forward."


Police in Birkenhead Park today(Image: Liverpool ECHO)

Merseyside Police locked down a significant part of Birkenhead Park in response to the incident. The focus of the police's attention was around the Birkenhead Park Cricket Club pitches.

The ECHO understands an 18th birthday party was held inside the club's pavilion on Saturday night but Merseyside Police has not confirmed if the incident is connected.


A person in a local Facebook group said they had seen "someone on the floor [by the] entrance to the park covered in a silver blanket". Another said she saw a group of "eight to 10ish young lads" hanging around the park after other people had been picked up in taxis.

Detective Superintendent Joe Marston added: "Reducing knife crime is a priority all year round in Merseyside. We are committed to proactively using stop and search powers, carrying out open land searches, warrants and education work alongside partners to remove weapons from the streets.

"While we are making positive progress, we understand the devastating consequences of carrying a knife and are relentless in our approach to targeting and pursuing criminals.

Article continues below

"The use of knives and any weapons is reckless and will not be tolerated, and can have tragic consequences, not only for the victim and their family but also for the offenders involved.

"I would urge people to educate themselves and speak to their children and family members about the dangers of knife crime. There is no place for knives in our communities."

ENJOYED THIS STORY?

Choose Liverpool Echo as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.

Google Preferred Source Badge [Google Preferred Source Badge]




2026 a Reach plc subsidiary
reach logo [reach logo]

At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.

Accept
Web Proxy Viewer  |  New URL  |  Original Page