[ Web Proxy ]
URL:
Viewing: https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/christian-horners-sacking-full-text-35525728 [Back]  [Original]

Christian Horner's sacking in full from text probe to backlash and Geri 'farce' - The Mirror


Skip to main content
The Mirror: The Heart of Britain
Check out our editions:

Christian Horner's sacking in full from text probe to backlash and Geri 'farce'

Christian Horner has been sacked after 20 years at the helm of Red Bull. His exit comes after a tumultuous time that saw him investigated - and cleared - of sending 'inappropriate' texts

Geri Halliwell stood by Christian Horner following the allegations(Image: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP)

News of Christian Horner's Red Bull sacking brings to a close a tumultuous time for the embattled boss who has seen both his marriage and career rocked in recent years.


The 51-year-old - who is married to former Spice Girl Geri Halliwell - is the longest-serving team principal in F1, having been at the helm for two decades. His exit comes after he faced allegations of controlling behaviour by a female member of staff at the British-based team, which he was cleared of after an internal investigation.


Laurent Mekies has now been appointed as CEO of Red Bull Racing, the team announced. In a statement, Red Bull said: "We would like to thank Christian Horner for his exceptional work over the last 20 years. With his tireless commitment, experience, expertise and innovative thinking, he has been instrumental in establishing Red Bull Racing as one of the most successful and attractive teams in Formula 1."


Here, The Mirror takes a look back at the rollercoaster ride that ultimately ended with the loss of his 9million-a-year position at the forefront of F1...

1. Misconduct allegations and internal investigation

Christian Horner was accused of sending 'inappropriate messages' while married to Geri Halliwell(Image: Getty Images)

In February 2024, an external investigation was launched into allegations of inappropriate and controlling behaviour by Horner toward a female colleague. Horner firmly denied the claims, and Red Bull stated they were taking the matter extremely seriously.


By 28 February, Red Bull confirmed Horner had been cleared of wrongdoing after an independent inquiry. Red Bull is confident that the investigation has been fair, rigorous and impartial, a spokesperson said.

The complainant appealed the decision, but an independent lawyer subsequently rejected it, with Red Bull announcing they accepted and adopted this outcome.

2. Leaked WhatsApp messages

Messages allegedly sent between Christian Horner and a member of staff at Red Bulls Formula One team were mysteriously leaked - less than 24 hours after he was cleared of inappropriate behaviour.


Messages and pictures, which Mirror Sport saw, were leaked to the F1 paddock including FIA president Mohamed ben Sulayem, F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali, the grids nine other team principals, and the media, with private conversations between Horner and an unnamed person detailed within them.

Horner swiftly responded in a statement on Thursday evening: "I will not comment on anonymous speculation, but to reiterate I have always denied the allegations. I respected the integrity of the independent investigation and fully cooperated with it every step of the way.

"It was a thorough and fair investigation conducted by an independent specialist barrister, and it has concluded dismissing the complaint made. I remain fully focused on the start of the season."


Meanwhile, Jos Verstappen, father of racing driver Max, warned that Red Bull could be torn apart unless Horner was removed. Austrian media reported Horner was on the verge of being sacked amid internal conflict, particularly following poor car performance and friction with advisor Helmut Marko and CEO Oliver Mintzlaff. Design chief Adrian Newey also left the team in early 2025, with his exit reportedly tied to the turmoil.

3. United marriage front

Christian Horner and Geri Horner put on a united front after the leak(Image: Getty Images)

Geri was been pictured supporting her husband Christian Horner in Bahrain, just days after the message leak. Geri gave a smile as she took her husband-of-nine-year's hand as they made their way into the Paddock prior to the first race of the season at Bahrain's International circuit, sending a clear signal to fans.


However, Former F1 driver Christijan Albers was less than impressed and said on De Telegraaf 's F1 podcast: "What kind of farce is that?

A source revealed that the allegations had come as a "shock" to mum-of-two Geri, with an insider telling The Sun: "People think Geri was just blindly standing by her man through the whole thing, but it's not like that at all." When the allegations first came out, the source says, the Spice Girls star naturally had questions.

"It was a shock to both of them when the allegations blew up - they never saw it coming and a lot of people were spreading hurtful rumours, but it was all untrue, they are in a really good place right now."


Meanwhile, it was reported that, after 10 years of going by the name Geri Horner, the 52-year-old had decided to double-barrel her surname, bringing back the maiden name of Halliwell that she was best known by during the height of '90s girl power.

3. Performance woes

The trouble wasnt limited to off-track. Red Bull fell to fourth place in the Constructors standings amid a slump in performance, with McLaren outpacing them by more than 200 points and Max Verstappen lagging behind in the drivers championship.


Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko admitted progress was tough, and Verstappen himself branded the RB20 car the most temperamental weve had since 2021.

Austrian reports said the team considered replacing Horner if the slump continued after Imola. On July 9, 2025, Red Bull announced Horner will be stepping down as team principal and CEO, ending his 20-year reign.

Red Bull has released Christian Horner from his operational duties with effect from today and has appointed Laurent Mekies as CEO of Red Bull Racing, the team said.

Article continues below

ENJOYED THIS STORY?

Choose Daily Mirror as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.

Google Preferred Source Badge [Google Preferred Source Badge]




2026 a Reach plc subsidiary
reach logo [reach logo]

At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.

Accept
Web Proxy Viewer  |  New URL  |  Original Page