[ Web Proxy ]
URL:
Viewing: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-angela-rayner-abuser-threatened-36914671 [Back]  [Original]

Angela Rayner abuser who threatened to kill ex-Deputy PM and her son learns fate - The Mirror


Skip to main content
The Mirror: The Heart of Britain
Check out our editions:

Angela Rayner abuser who threatened to kill ex-Deputy PM and her son learns fate

Elizabeth Harker, 63, targeted Angela Rayner in abusive voicemails sent via her Ashton-under-Lyne constituency office in September last year - the day she resigned from the Cabinet

A woman who bombarded Angela Rayner with abusive messages - including threats to kill her and her son - has been sentenced to an 18-month community order and banned from contacting the politician.


Elizabeth Harker, 63, targeted the former deputy prime minister in abusive voicemails sent via her Ashton-under-Lyne constituency office on September 5 last year - the day she resigned from the Cabinet.


The court heard the defendant left four voice mails to a hotline "all of which were abusive". They were "calling her (Ms Rayner) a 'filthy w***e', a 's**g', as well as warnings saying 'you don't know what is coming to you'. Further messages saw Harker threaten to kill Rayner and her son.


The calls were from a mobile phone that was registered to Harker's home address.

Angela Rayner [Angela Rayner]
View 3 Images

Rayner resigned as Deputy Prime Minister in September last year(Image: Sky News/PA)

In a separate incident, Westminster Magistrates' Court heard the 63-year-old had also posted a handwritten note to a woman called Dorris Fortune - filled with slurs and comments such as "scroungers, I reported you" and "drop dead scrounger".


On Tuesday, District judge Briony Clarke told Harker that her actions had "a significant impact on the two victims".

Ms Rayner described her behaviour as "unacceptable" and felt "distressed and alarmed" by the threats, while Ms Fortune says she feels "anxious".

In sentencing, the judge said: "These are serious offences. I can see that you understand that. It is quite remarkable that at 63 years of age and with no previous convictions you have behaved in this way and find yourself before the court.


"The messages, the call, the letter all completely unprovoked, deeply unpleasant and no doubt did have the impact on the victims."

The case was heard at Westminster Magistrates' Court(Image: PA Archive/PA Images)

Angela Rayner resigned as Deputy Prime Minister, Housing Secretary, and Deputy Leader of the Labour Party on September 5 last year following a tax scandal regarding the underpayment of stamp duty on her 800,000 flat in Hove.


She left after an independent ethics adviser's report concluded she breached the ministerial code, despite Ms Rayner arguing the failure to pay the correct tax was an honest mistake.

The judge said: "Ms Rayner is Member of Parliament, working in a public-facing role. It is also aggravated by the fact that you were in drink at the time."

Harker, of Luton, Bedfordshire, previously pleaded guilty to sending a communication that was "grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character" in the form of four voicemails that targeted Ms Rayner. She also previously pleaded guilty to an offence of sending a communication with an indecent or offensive message.

Article continues below

Harker was handed an 18-month community order, including a 20-day rehabilitation activity requirement and 200 hours of unpaid work. She was also ordered to carry out a 12-month alcohol treatment requirement to help deal with the "root cause" of her behaviour, the judge said.

Harker was given two five-year restraining orders, which ban her from contacting both Ms Rayner and Ms Fortune directly or indirectly. It also prevents her from going to Ms Fortune's address after she was caught on a Ring security doorbell leaving an abusive letter at her doorstep before running away.

The court also ordered Harker to pay 85 costs and a 114 statutory surcharge. She expressed remorse for her actions and has been to Alcoholics Anonymous as well as to her GP for help as she tries to deal with her long-term history, the court heard.

ENJOYED THIS STORY?

Choose Daily Mirror as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.

Google Preferred Source Badge [Google Preferred Source Badge]




2026 a Reach plc subsidiary
reach logo [reach logo]

At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.

Accept
Web Proxy Viewer  |  New URL  |  Original Page