| [ Web Proxy ] |
| Viewing: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/man-vows-fight-council-400k-37546239 | [Back] [Original] |
A homeowner who spent 400,000 building a dream house claims he now faces having to tear it down - because it's a few inches too wide.
Idnan Choudhry, 31, could be ordered to bulldoze his five bedroom home in Walsall, West Midlands, after a four year planning row with his local council.
The quantity surveyor had previously been given planning permission for a replacement home in 2022 - but has now seen retrospective planning application refused after the council said it was not built to specification.
Though he claims to have followed previously approved architect's plans, an enforcement officer told him the house was just 50cm wide, and was too close to one of his neighbours.
He was then refused retrospective planning application for a second time despite making alterations to the house, including reducing the size of the roof extension.
Walsall Council claimed he had not overcome the previous reasons for refusal - and even introduced further ones including a "top heavy and incongruous" appearance, and loss of privacy for neighbours.
Mr Choudhry, who paid 337,000 for what was previously a three bedroom house, has vowed to continue to fight the local authority. He said he has spent an extra 35,000 to date on hiring lawyers and new architects in a bid to save his property.
An enforcement case remains open and under investigation because of the continued unlawful development.
Mr Choudhry, who has three children and also lives with his parents, said: "We're being made out to be criminals but we have tried to do everything by the book.
"I know some people buy up land and throw things up but we went through all the proper processes, or so we thought.
"What has happened over the last four years has caused me and my family a great deal of anxiety - it has been a nightmare.
"I don't know why the council is penalising people who have been granted planning permission and they have just kept moving the goalposts."
He added: "On June 30 we had a notice of demolishment come through and they were refusing permission again.
"I've engaged fully with the council every step of the way and I will continue to fight this to save my home.
"I've contacted the ombudsman and hired lawyers and I won't give up.
"It has caused an extreme amount of stress and I'm being faced with aggressive tactics and all over ridiculously small measurements."
Detailing their reasons for refusal, Walsall Council previously said: "While submitted plans show the reduction of the first floor by 0.54m to the shared boundary with No.6 which would minimise the current impacts to this neighbour regarding loss of light and shadowing and sense of enclosure from dominance of this nearest built elevation, we are unable to impose the necessary planning condition to secure this on the basis that this current application cannot be supported in relation to other un-resolved matters.
"This is compounded by the as-built larger dormer which contributes to the impacts to this neighbour.
"The as-built dormer measures 2.6m high, 3.6m wide and 3.9m deep in contrast to the approved dimensions of 2.4m high, 3m wide and 3.5m deep.
"This results in the dormer being more visible and prominent in the street-scene which contributes to an overly dominant top-heavy and incongruous appearance to the detriment of the local character of area.
"The front boundary wall and gates would obstruct visibility between drivers and pedestrians, particularly given that the access is located on the inside of a bend, where visibility is already limited."
Walsall Council has been approached for comment.
Choose Daily Mirror as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
[Google Preferred Source Badge]At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Accept| Web Proxy Viewer | New URL | Original Page |