| [ Web Proxy ] |
| Viewing: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/peter-kay-evacuate-bomb-hoax-37101319 | [Back] [Original] |
Police have given an update after comedian Peter Kay was ushered off stage mid-performance and the audience was evacuated after a "bomb hoax".
Witnesses said that two members of staff came onto the stage about 45 minutes into the performance, whispered into Kays ear, and then escorted him off.
West Midlands Police said a 19-year-old man is being held after the show at the Utilita Arena in Birmingham was halted on Friday evening over a potential suspicious bag.
But now in an update this morning the force said "no items of a suspicious nature were found" and that a teenager had been arrested on suspicion of a bomb hoax and was was being held in custody as an investigation continues.
A statement from West Midlands Police read: "Following searches of the Utilita Arena last night no items of a suspicious nature were found. A 19-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of a bomb hoax offence and remains in custody this morning as our enquiries continue.
"We're grateful to everyone for their co-operation and understanding. As always our priority is the safety of the public."
A search was carried out at the arena by police after people were rushed out of the exits. Steve Aspinall, who was at the gig with his wife, said following the evacuation: Two guys came on, one with a mic and headphones, one guy whispered to Peter Kay and then he and Peter Kay shot off down the side.
He said the audience was told to look for security guards and listen out for any announcements. To be honest, I thought it was part of the show at first, Mr Aspinall, who lives in Bideford, Devon, said.
It was a strange atmosphere, eerie, just confused really (about) what was happening. But it was alright and everyone was calm and left quite quickly with no panic.
Miranda Richardson, 52, a pub landlady from Northampton, said: It was very swift. One minute (Peter Kays) on stage and the gig is great, then two of the event team walk on stage straight to him, quick word and hes ushered off.
The staff tells us due to unforeseen circumstances we all have to evacuate the arena straight away. Staff helped get people out and it was calm and swift. We heard very quickly someone had claimed a bag had been left somewhere. No messing, it was just all out.
Choose Daily Mirror as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
[Google Preferred Source Badge]At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Accept| Web Proxy Viewer | New URL | Original Page |