[ Web Proxy ]
URL:
Viewing: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/retired-couple-told-tear-down-36923762 [Back]  [Original]

Retired couple told to tear down 4ft fence almost a decade after they built it - The Mirror


Skip to main content
The Mirror: The Heart of Britain
Check out our editions:

Retired couple told to tear down 4ft fence almost a decade after they built it

David and Denise Hopwood replaced and re-erected a grey fence on a field opposite their home in Over Hulton, Bolton, Gtr Manchester., almost a decade ago after they noticed it was falling to pieces

David Hopwood ordered to tear down fence(Image: William Lailey / SWNS)

A retired couple have been ordered to rip down a 2,000 four foot tall fence built on land across the road from their house which they installed to lighten up their neighbourhood.


David, 67 and Denise Hopwood, 66, replaced and re-erected a grey fence on a field opposite their home in Over Hulton, Bolton, Gtr Manchester., almost a decade ago after they noticed it was falling to pieces.


It comes just weeks after Bolton Council told them they would have to tear down a 4,500 7 foot tall, 82 foot long fence they built in their backyard to spot nosey neighbours peeping into their house.


Couple ordered to tear down fences(Image: William Lailey / SWNS)


Officials said it was out of touch with the character and appearance of the surrounding area. The couple claimed they spent their own money on the fence - which is made from wood panels - and maintained the area.

They also installed chain link bollards and flower planters, which were used for neighbourhood displays over the Christmas period.

David revealed that over the past eight years no one has raised any issues with it.


But on March 10, they were shocked to receive a letter from landowners Peel Land ordering them to pull down the alleged 75-foot fence saying it was built without planning permission.

David said they have been left devastated as they have been told to remove the fence, planters and other fixtures in 14 days and have been left to pick up removal costs.

Couple ordered to tear down fence(Image: Newsquest / SWNS)


The letter reads: It has come to our attention that you have encroached on land owned by Peel. Such encroachments include the erection of a fence, chain link bollards and flower planters.

We request that you remove all fixtures and reinstate the registered site boundaries within 14 days of the date of this letter, after which time we will have no alternative but to refer this matter to our solicitors.

Peel Land said the structures had been installed without its consent and that it is acting within its rights as the landowner.


David said: Weve had that fence up for eight years now and theyve never said anything why now? Someones clearly brought it to their attention.

The couple said they had maintained the land themselves over that period. According to David, the area had previously been in poor condition and they replaced an older fence at their own expense, installing a new structure and adding planters.

Denise said: The planter was to cover a big dump of concrete after someone just dumped it there - it looks lovely now."


They also said the display had become a feature for the local community, particularly during the Christmas period.

David said: Its become quite the thing. People travel from far to come and see it and grab some sweets from the display we set up. Its a community thing. The kiddies love it and now its going to be ruined.

Peel Land said it does not accept that permission was granted for the use of the land and maintains the couple have trespassed.


David said they offered to pay for a licence to keep the fence in place, but claimed this was declined. They said they do not intend to challenge the decision.

David said: Were not fighting it. We dont know what weve done so wrong, but we cant afford to take it to court. We maintained the land and we put the fence there at our own expense because we wanted to make it look nice.

I will not be maintaining that land any longer after this. They can figure that out themselves.

Article continues below

Denise said: Im devastated, were devastated. We were just trying to do a nice thing for the community. The couple said they will now need to pay for the fence to be removed.

Peel Land has been contacted for further comment.

ENJOYED THIS STORY?

Choose Daily Mirror as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.

Google Preferred Source Badge [Google Preferred Source Badge]




2026 a Reach plc subsidiary
reach logo [reach logo]

At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.

Accept
Web Proxy Viewer  |  New URL  |  Original Page