| [ Web Proxy ] |
| Viewing: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/robert-bush-funeral-apology-letter-37520417 | [Back] [Original] |
A letter of apology from disgraced funeral boss Robert Bush has sparked fury from the families of his victims.
Bush was jailed after he failed to bury or cremate people and gave grieving families the ashes of strangers, and in at least one case, an animal. Now, he has offered those impacted by his actions a written apology, but today some have reacted in anger at his latest actions.
Bush, 48, was jailed for 20 years at Hull Crown Court on Friday. Police found about 35 bodies and more than 100 sets of ashes after raiding Legacy Independent Funeral Directors in Hull in March 2024, following a tip-off. Jasmine Beverley, 40, whose son's remains were discovered at the funeral parlour nearly two years after he was stillborn, told The Mirror the letter was cold and condescending.
She said: The letter was read to us after he was jailed at Hull crown court and we were all in total disbelief, everyone in that room was - you could hear a pin drop. There were five families in the room.
"Its not an apology. Hes not apologising for what hes done but how the families feel about what hes done. It sounded empty and hollow. It sounded like ChatGPT had helped him out a bit. "
Jasmine points out the start of his letter which reads; 'I have spent a great deal of time thinking about the events that wish to say something directly to you...' She said: "That was the first line and he hadn't even bothered to check it for mistakes. It's just an insult, I really wouldn't have bothered.
It was the last line that really got me though: I hope that in time, each of you can find some peace and remember your loved ones for who they were rather than the circumstances that have followed.' There's no acknowledgement of what he's done.
"Ive got no good memories, Rob is the memories of my son. He haunts me and I still cant sleep. I thought I would be able to rest easy after he was jailed but I havent. I just want a public inquiry now, we all do.
Fellow victim Stacey Foster said the apology from Bush had been sent to her by Humberside Police and that she had the option of 'reading it if she wanted to'. She added: "To me he has done this to make himself look good.
"I am past caring now, it means nothing. We have the same questions we had at the very beginning. We keep asking why us? There should be a public inquiry."
Stacey and her partner Peter Cooke had jewellery made from the ashes of their son Tommy, who they lost at just over 17 weeks in August 2023, the prosecution said. However, the couple later learned Bush gave them the wrong remains. Foster told the court: "The heartache that we have gone through is immense."
In his open letter to victims, Bush wrote: "I recognise that what happened has caused distress, upset and uncertainty for many families. I am deeply sorry. There are no words that can undo what has happened or take away the pain that many of you have experienced.
"I understand that this has affected not only your confidence in me, but also memories surrounding the loss of those closest to you. I accept responsibility for my failures. Looking back, I know that I should have acted differently and much sooner. I regret that I did not do so."
The former undertaker admitted 67 offences, including 30 counts of preventing a lawful and decent burial, and theft from 12 charities. Prosecutors said Bush ran a "shambolic and chaotic" operation at the Hessle Road premises and his "appalling" offending had caused "extreme emotional pain, anguish and upset".
Jasmine told the court how learning that her baby Sunny Beverley-Conlin was found in a brown paper bag on the floor of the funeral parlour "will stay with me for the rest of my life". Sunny's remains were recovered from the Hessle Road premises one year and 10 months after he was stillborn on 13 May 2022, the court heard.
She was given a set of ashes by Bush the following March. Jasmine added: "Reading the letter has left me feeling nothing but anger. I don't have the luxury of separating my memories of Sunny from what happened because the memories I do have are tied directly to the mismanagement of the final act of love I tried to give him - his funeral. This will haunt me for the rest of my life."
Karen Dry, who has been supporting some of the families, said: "There was no sorrow or remorse in the letter . It's a slap in the face, he's just out for himself."
Robert Bush's letter in full:
"To everyone who has been affected by my actions.
"I have spent a great deal of time thinking about the events that [sic] wish to say something directly to you. I know that many of you entrusted me and my business with the care of someone you loved during one of the most difficult times in your lives.
"I recognise that what happened has caused distress, upset and uncertainty for many families. I am deeply sorry. There are no words that can undo what has happened or take away the pain that many of you have experienced. I understand that this has affected not only your confidence in me, but also memories surrounding the loss of those closest to you.
"I accept responsibility for my failures. Looking back, I know that I should have acted differently and much sooner. I regret that I did not do so.
"I do not expect forgiveness, nor do I write this letter in the hope of reducing the seriousness of what has happened. I simply wanted you to know that I genuinely regret the consequences of my actions, and the impact they have had on so many people.
"I appreciate that every family's experience has been different, and I respect that some people may never wish to accept my apology. That is entirely understandable. I hope that, in time, each of you can find some peace and remember your loved one for who they were rather than for the circumstances that have followed. I am truly sorry."
Choose Daily Mirror as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
[Google Preferred Source Badge]At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Accept| Web Proxy Viewer | New URL | Original Page |