[ Web Proxy ]
URL:
Viewing: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/south-london-boozer-slated-closure-35643498 [Back]  [Original]

Pub at the heart of South London community beats closure threat in final standoff - The Mirror


Skip to main content
The Mirror: The Heart of Britain
Check out our editions:

EXCLUSIVE: Pub at the heart of South London community beats closure threat in final standoff

The South London pub, Queen of the South, is under threat of closure but its founder Clement Ogbonnaya says the community has rallied around him in an unprecedented show of support

Clement opened Queen of the South in Tulse Hill in May 2023 and has described it as an ode to the women in his life(Image: Reach Commissioned/Steve Bainbridge)

Two days after Clement Ogbonnaya's final offer to buy the freehold of his beloved Queen of the South pub was rejected, something miraculous happened. The major pub group that acquired the freehold came back to the table.

The beloved South London pub and event space faced threat of closure after Young's Pubs acquired the freehold. Founder Clement accused the pub group of steamrolling communities but the South London community quickly mobilised to Save Our Queen.

The uproar started on Monday, July 28, when The Queen of the Souths owner Clement Ogbonnaya shared news about the potential closure in an Instagram video. Clement is a key figure in the South London community as the founder of The Village People pub group, which encompasses both Queen of the South in Tulse Hill and its iconic sister space, Prince of Peckham.

Beyond functioning as a pub, Queen of the South is a co-working space and known for hosting a range of community and youth events. The Queen also regularly collaborates with local artists, designers, and musicians. News about The Queen comes after a family of 10 'barge out' of pub in brazen dine and dash after 320 meal.

Clement says they will find out on Monday what the final verdict is for The Queen(Image: Reach Commissioned/Steve Bainbridge)

In his call to action video, Clement said he had been given a crazy deadline to buy the freehold from a then unnamed pub group. He expressed embarrassment for having to ask for help but presented an opportunity for individuals to invest in the space to raise funds. This is an opportunity in our community. We can own our own boozer. We can own bricks and mortar for infinity," he said.

In a sit down with The Mirror, Clement said the video was more therapeutic but that the overwhelming community response was incredibly humbling. Messages offering legal advice, DMs to invest in the space, and even demands for him to name the offending pub group ratcheted up. He says the video received over 300,000 views in the space of a week.

Even those not able to invest were bombarding him with questions about how they could help, prompting Queen of the South to launch a Crowdfunder campaign.

However, after a week of rallying, on August 6, Clement shared that their final offer to the pub corporation was rejected. Fresh out of the meeting, Clement revealed via Instagram that Youngs Pub was the group that bought the freehold.

Clement says he invested around three quarters of a million pounds into Queen of the South(Image: Reach Commissioned/Steve Bainbridge)

A spokesperson for Youngs told The Mirror: We recognise the significance of the Queen of the South pub in Tulse Hill as an important part of the local community and have been engaging with Clement Ogbonnaya to reach an agreement that will ensure its continued operation under the current management.

We remain in exclusive negotiations with Clement regarding the freehold of the pub and have not had any conversations with any other potential bidders regarding the site. The group said it was always our intention that the pub remain independent.

Clement was sceptical to say the least. If theyre so committed, they wouldnt be having this conversation with me right now.

For more stories like this subscribe to our weekly newsletter, The Weekly Gulp, for a curated roundup of trending stories, poignant interviews, and viral lifestyle picks from The Mirror's Audience U35 team delivered straight to your inbox.

He questioned not only what would become of the Queen some flats or a Tesco but who Youngs would cater to. Who are you serving? he asked in response to Youngs statement. Are you serving Tulse Hill or are you serving Dulwich? Are you serving Tulse Hill or are you serving Chelsea? A reference to Youngs polished portfolio of pubs catering to more affluent clientele.

If pub companies like that claim to be committed to community then maybe they should do the community work here and see what happens, Clement shared.

Even on the verge of losing The Queen, Clement said he was at peace with the reality. Not because I dont stand to lose so much money. Not because all of the hard work weve put into this building doesnt mean anything. Its because I think this is the beginning of The Village People. Its the beginning of actually owning equity.

Clement says he'll throw a "massive" party to say farewell to The Queen if the time comes(Image: Reach Commissioned/Steve Bainbridge)

Even going into what he believed to be his last negotiation meeting, Clement said the community fuelled him. It was the first time I met with [Youngs] that I didnt shrink. I went into that meeting not feeling small. And thats purely because of the outcriesthe backing and the support I received.

I didnt go in as Clem, I went in as a community."


But on Friday, August 8, following publication of this story, The Mirror received an update that Clement's offer had been accepted. A spokesperson for Young's shared: "We are pleased to confirm that we have accepted Clement Ogbonnayas offer to buy the freehold of the Queen of the South pub in Tulse Hill.

"We recognise the significance of the pub as an important part of the local community and have had constructive conversations with Clement to find a solution that will enable it to continue operating under the current management. It was never our intention to close the pub."

Clement shared the exciting news just this week via Instagram: "We finally agreed [on] a deal!"


He explained: "Young's had to back down, but also thank you to Young's for coming to the table, getting this done and massive help they cleared all the debt. So it puts us in a great position. The deal has been done."

While this is a huge success for The Queen, Clement says "the big works starts now". The group will need to raise 500,000, though they have already received 15% of the funds needed privately. They will be hosting a potential investor dinner next Thursday, August 21 to secure further investment.

Queen of the South's sister venue, Prince of Peckham, is alive and thriving too, proving that the crown might have tilted, but wont easily be toppled.

Article continues below

Help us improve our content by completing the survey below. We'd love to hear from you!

ENJOYED THIS STORY?

Choose Daily Mirror as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.

Google Preferred Source Badge [Google Preferred Source Badge]




2026 a Reach plc subsidiary
reach logo [reach logo]

At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.

Accept
Web Proxy Viewer  |  New URL  |  Original Page