| [ Web Proxy ] |
| Viewing: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/probe-launched-whether-joe-bidens-30369802 | [Back] [Original] |
An investigation is underway to determine whether Joe Biden's life was put in danger during a visit to the UK, it is reported.
The UK's aviation regulator, the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), is reportedly looking into potential safety risks at Newquay Airport in Cornwall, where the US President landed in June 2021 for his visit to the G7 Summit.
The investigation follows claims that hazardous materials were stored in a hangar there, including thousands of aerosol cans, and could have endangered lives, reports the US Express.
The Hangar 404 is owned by manufacturing company Holt Lloyd International, which recently submitted a planning application to store up to 450 tonnes of hazardous materials at the site.
A CAA spokesperson said: We are aware of the concerns raised and are currently investigating the matter.
The US Federal Aviation Authority confirmed it is also aware of the investigation.
A source told the Express that any explosion or fire would clearly present a serious threat to any aircraft attempting to take off or land.
Holt Lloyd International manufactures aerosol cans mainly used for car care at its factory in Newquay and rents the storage facility at the Aerohub from Cornwall Council.
The CAA said that the airport would be responsible to identify any hazards in its operations, ensuring safety risks are assessed and mitigated, and engaging in planning matters with the local planning authority to safeguard its operations.
Concerns have also been raised about the rushed processing of the planning application of Holt Lloyd International to store up to 450 tonnes of hazardous materials at the site.
Cornwall Council, specifically Cornwall's County Hall, is responsible for determining the planning application.
The planning application is expected to be determined by August 8, but the rushed processing of the application has raised concerns and is now being investigated.
The situation has been compared to the Beirut Port explosion in 2020 and is being discussed at the highest levels of the British government.
A massive explosion at the Port of Beirut in Lebanon's capital city resulted in the loss of at least 218 lives, with 7,000 people injured and property damage amounting to approximately $15 billion.
It was caused by a large quantity of ammonium nitrate, which had been stored improperly in a warehouse for six years.
All the latest news, showbiz, lifestyle and sports updates, brought to you by our dedicated American team.
Follow the Mirror US News page on Facebook to make sure you're not missing out.
Choose Daily Mirror as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
[Google Preferred Source Badge]At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Accept| Web Proxy Viewer | New URL | Original Page |