| [ Web Proxy ] |
| Viewing: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/donald-trump-israel-iran-peace-37319121 | [Back] [Original] |
ISRAEL and Hezbollah have agreed on a ceasefire, bringing back US President Donald Trumps chaos-hit Iran peace plan from the brink of disaster. A temporary accord was set for 16.00 local time and came after 24 hours of intense fighting and Israeli strikes in which there are reports some 47 people died and four Israeli soldiers were killed. The fragile pause in fighting was the main obstacle to Trumps chaotic memorandum of understanding - MOU - and led to the cancellation of key talks in Switzerland on Friday.
Waves of air-strikes and artillery attacks on Nabatieh, southern Lebanon had led to fears Israel would defy the MOU, since Lebanon is included in the deal with Iran. One of the Israeli soldiers killed was a Lieutenant Colonel, as strikes also hit Hezbollah targets in Lebanons eastern region the Beqaa Valley. A further five Israeli soldiers have been injured by a drone attack on their position. The Israeli and Hezbollah attacks and ensuing intense fighting was some of the most violent and deadly the region has seen in weeks, despite Trump vowing peace would fall on Lebanon. But Irans Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei slammed Israels latest attacks in Lebanon, saying the continued war-making will have serious and immediate consequences."
Israel sees its exclusion from peace negotiations with Iran as a betrayal since Operation Epic Fury was a joint assault on Irans military, nuclear programme and its regime. And many Israelis are furious Trumps negotiators have agreed to include a no-fighting in Lebanon clause in the talks with Iran - which had been a red-line for Tehran. President Donald Trump s signing at Versailles put the 60-day ceasefire and negotiation framework into effect, though key issues remain unresolved.
The disagreement with Israel has led to growing tension between President Trump and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Trump has been openly critical of Netanyahu's recent moves, saying the day before the agreement with Iran was signed that "without the U.S. there would be no Israel." He said, using the common nickname for Netanyhau: I have had a great relationship with Bibi. Now Bibi has to be more responsible with respect to Lebanon."
But his MOU is supposed to include Lebanon as one of its main points. Israel is lobbying Washington heavily about keeping troops in Lebanon, which would be a clear breach of Trumps Iran memorandum of understanding. Most Israelis see keeping a troop presence in southern Lebanon as an essential buffer to protect northern communities against Hezbollah cross-border attacks.
The 14 point MOU is meant to re-open the Strait of Hormuz but is already looking fragile within hours of being signed electronically at the France G7. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told US President Donald Trump during a phone call yesterday that Israel will not leave southern Lebanon as long as Israels security needs require it. Further talks were expected between both sides in Burgenstock, Switzerland today but have already been cancelled over the latest flare-up in Lebanon.
US Central Command (CENTCOM) says it has lifted its blockade on Iranian ports as Tehran says its Persian Gulf Strait Authority has been charged with issuing permits for commercial vessels to transit the Strait of Hormuz. In Iran, Supreme Leader Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei appears to have endorsed negotiations, saying in a statement on state media that "it is obvious that the face-to-face negotiations that will be held in the future will not mean accepting the enemy's opinion."
Vice President JD Vance, who disliked the idea of the war with Iran, has increasingly become the administration's face of the conflict and has been outspoken in defending the deal. He issued a blunt warning to Israel, saying Trump was "the only head of state in the entire world who is sympathetic to the nation of Israel at this moment in time."
Choose Daily Mirror as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
[Google Preferred Source Badge]At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Accept| Web Proxy Viewer | New URL | Original Page |