| [ Web Proxy ] |
| Viewing: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/riots-argentina-world-cup-police-37451733 | [Back] [Original] |
More than a dozen people have been detained by police in Buenos Aires after rioting broke out following Argentinas World Cup final loss.
Thousands gathered in the streets of the Argentinian capital to watch the final, hoping to see Lionel Messi and co retain the World Cup trophy. However, they were left bitterly disappointed.
Enzo Fernandez was sent off earlier in the game, giving Spain the advantage. Ferran Torres took the initiative with a goal in extra time to hand Spain a 1-0 win.
The New Jersey spectacle became a debacle at full-time, with clashes breaking out between the players. Argentinas Leandro Parades was sent off after the final whistle for shoving and lashing out at Eric Garcia of Spain.
It had largely been a peaceful affair in Buenos Aires, a city of 3 million people, until riots broke out between police and fans at around 11:45pm, reports Argentine newspaper Infobae .
Clashes were seen around the Obelisk, a national monument where important occasions play out, when a group of supporters attempted to breach fencing designed to protect it.
Chaos then reigned for 20 minutes as a large group of fans then started hurling glass bottles and other projectiles at the police. Cops responded with tear gas and a water cannon to disperse irate crowds nearby, the outlet added.
At least 15 people have been detained by police, Infobae said, with several hurt in the riot. The condition of the injured remains unknown.
Images of the city published worldwide show debris littering the capitals streets, with one photograph appearing to show a police officer kicking a supporter on the ground.
Despite the loss, Argentinians will enjoy a national holiday. President Javier Milei announced the move hours after Rodri lifted the World Cup trophy but said the date of the celebration will be decided by the players and coaches.
An English translation of Milei's post in X in Spanish said: "WORLD CELEBRATION.
"Given the concern about the celebrations for the achievement reached by the Argentine National Team, I inform the population that, depending on what the players and the technical staff decide regarding the day to celebrate, it will be declared a national holiday."
Argentinians enjoyed a bank holiday after winning the 2022 World Cup.
It occurred on the Tuesday after the final, when players returned to Buenos Aires for a parade. Those celebrations centred around the Obelisk.
Choose Daily Mirror as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
[Google Preferred Source Badge]At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Accept| Web Proxy Viewer | New URL | Original Page |