[ Web Proxy ]
URL:
Viewing: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-transfer-mikel-arteta-latest-37543807 [Back]  [Original]

Arsenal news: Mikel Arteta eyes Barcelona raid as 85m star opens door to transfer - The Mirror


Skip to main content
The Mirror: The Heart of Britain
Check out our editions:

Arsenal news: Mikel Arteta eyes Barcelona raid as 85m star opens door to transfer

Mikel Arteta is eager to improve his Arsenal squad ahead of the new Premier League season

Mikel Arteta continues plotting Arsenal's next move in the transfer market(Image: Carlos Jasso/AFP)

Mikel Arteta remains focused on bolstering his Arsenal squad before the summer transfer window closes. The Premier League champions begin their title defence in eight days against Coventry City, but first face Manchester City on Sunday in the Community Shield.


Despite missing out on Vinicius Junior after he signed a contract extension with Real Madrid, the Gunners acquired his international team-mate Bruno Guimaraes from Newcastle United in a 75million deal.


The 28-year-old's arrival marked Arsenal's fourth summer signing, but plans to add further remain among Arteta's priorities. The north London side are said to be targeting a Barcelona star, while an 85m-rated player has opened the door to an England move.


Barcelona target emerges

Arsenal have attempted to sign defensive reinforcements this summer, but to no avail. William Saliba's absence for "an extended period" leaves Arteta without one of his best defenders ahead of the new season.

The Premier League champions have been interested in Aston Villa star Ezri Konsa but are set to turn their attention to Barcelona defender Jules Kounde, if the France international opens the door to a possible move, Spanish outlet Sport reports.

FOLLOW OUR ARSENAL FB PAGE! Latest Gunners news and more on our dedicated Facebook page


The outlet claims that Arsenal are looking for a centre-back, who can also cover the right side of defence. Kounde, 27, certainly fits the bill as prior to joining Barcelona, he played in central defence for Sevilla and moved to full-back after signing for the Catalan giants, which is a position he also plays for the national team.

Kounde is said to be a cheaper alternative to Konsa, who has been valued at 60million by the Europa League champions. The Frenchman has reported for pre-season training in Spain and played a key role in Barca's back-to-back title triumphs.


85m star open to Premier League move

Bayer Leverkusen star Christian Kofane revealed that he'd be open to joining the Premier League in the future. The 20-year-old impressed in his debut season with the Bundesliga club, with seven goals and nine assists in 44 games.

The striker came up against the Gunners last season in the Champions League round of 16 and showcased his potential in both legs despite his side coming up short. His agent Eric Depolo seemingly claimed that his performances led to the Gunners enquiring about his situation, but warned them that they'd have to part ways with 85m to get his client.

He told Daily Arsenal earlier this year: "Yes, Arsenal's interest is genuine. The manager [Mikel Arteta] likes him very much. I think it is too early to say [which club is leading the race].


Christian Kofane has been linked with a move to Arsenal since last season(Image: Getty Images)

Countdown to Kickoff: The Essential 26/27 Sky Sports Bundle
This article contains affiliate links, we will receive a commission on any sales we generate from it. Learn more
Product Description

Sky's Essential TV and Sky Sports bundle includes at least 215 live Premier League clashes across the 2026/27 season, with more than 1,500 games from the EFL and beyond, plus F1, golf and darts.

This introductory offer saves 384 compared to the standard price, with every package also providing 100 regular channels alongside free Netflix and discovery+ subscriptions.

"But due to the fact that the player speaks Spanish, like Mikel Arteta, and that William Saliba is originally from Cameroon, I would say Arsenal are in pole position."

Article continues below

Depolo added: "He is a 100million (85m) player. With Kofane, Arsenal will have a top striker for the next 10 years." Opening up about a possible move to England, Kofane told Kicker: "I can certainly imagine it, yes.

"Its one of the best leagues in the world. But I want to take it step by step. Im young and still have big plans with Bayer Leverkusen."

ENJOYED THIS STORY?

Choose Daily Mirror as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.

Google Preferred Source Badge [Google Preferred Source Badge]




2026 a Reach plc subsidiary
reach logo [reach logo]

At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.

Accept
Web Proxy Viewer  |  New URL  |  Original Page