[ Web Proxy ]
URL:
Viewing: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/world-cup-argentina-lionel-messi-37469049 [Back]  [Original]

Argentina's shameful behaviour should not let the World Cup's biggest offenders off the hook - The Mirror


Skip to main content
The Mirror: The Heart of Britain
Check out our editions:

Argentina's shameful behaviour should not let the World Cup's biggest offenders off the hook

Lionel Messi and his beaten Argentina team-mates deserved all the flak that came their way following the World Cup final but that should not give Gianni Infantino and FIFA a reprieve

According to a polling company that might have better things to do, Lionel Messis popularity amongst British people has gone down since he tried to get the saintly Marc Cucurella sent off during the World Cup final. It is unclear whether this news is keeping Messi awake at night but you suspect not.


Messis lamentable attempt to land Cucurella in trouble was part of a tapestry of unedifying Argentinian antics and was unbecoming of a great player. But it was hardly the crime of the century.


Since when did we become so puritanical? Would Cucurella have done it if the situation of the game had been reversed? Of course he would.


You might hold Messi to a higher moral standard but players trying to get opponents into bother is a staple of the modern game. It did not help Messis cause that he was the captain of a squad that turned its back on Spains coronation after it had also descended into violent disarray at the final whistle.

The offending individuals will deserve whatever punishment comes their way and deserved all the criticism that has already come their way. But lets not pretend we were shocked by the Argentinian reaction to the loss to Spain.

And lets not allow their behaviour to deflect criticism and scrutiny from where it most needs to be directed most. It needs to be directed most at Gianni Infantino and FIFA.


Bryson DeChambeau threatened to get Donald Trump involved in his rules row at The Open(Image: Richard Heathcote, Getty Images)

When it comes to petulant reactions, there was a belter at Royal Birkdale last Friday after Bryson DeChambeau received a two-shot penalty for what was a debatable rules infringement. It was a slightly controversial decision but one DeChambeau should have taken on the chin.

Instead, he ranted and raved at officials and, apparently, threatened to call Donald Trump and get him involved. As it happened, the President of the United States never stepped in but you know where the idea came from.


Thankfully, at least one football association is taking a stance. The Norwegians, headed by its federation president Lise Klaveness, are set to make an official complaint to FIFAs ethics committee over Trumps involvement in the Folarin Balogun case, which saw the American striker have his red card ban suspended.

Messi has been accused of trying to get Marc Cucurella sent off(Image: AFP or licensors)

Hopefully, more will follow suit. And hopefully, more will tell the relevant committee that the hydration breaks were aberrations that cannot be repeated. Hopefully, more will kick up a serious fuss over ticket prices and already demand changes for the 2030 World Cup.


Never mind the tantrums shown by several Argentinians after the last whistle - and it has to be said that we seem to be more upset by them than the Spanish are - the final itself was a grotesquely gaudy and elongated occasion. Wayne Rooney had it spot on when he said the best thing about the half-time show was when it finished.

Sure, Argentinas behaviour needs to be punished. And sure, Messi did not cover himself in glory. But the people who really need to be looked at now the World Cup is over are Infantino and FIFA.

Join our new WhatsApp community and receive your daily dose of Mirror Football content. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don't like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you're curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.

Article continues below
Upgrade your World Cup TV setup with the Sky Glass 'designed for football'
This article contains affiliate links, we will receive a commission on any sales we generate from it. Learn more
Product Description

Shoppers can now upgrade to the Sky smart TV that's 'designed for football' from 6 per month when taken alongside a Sky TV and Netflix package.

Andy Dunn [Andy Dunn]
Andy Dunn

Andy Dunn is the Mirror's chief sports writer.

ENJOYED THIS STORY?

Choose Daily Mirror as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.

Google Preferred Source Badge [Google Preferred Source Badge]




2026 a Reach plc subsidiary
reach logo [reach logo]

At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.

Accept
Web Proxy Viewer  |  New URL  |  Original Page