[ Web Proxy ]
URL:
Viewing: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/frankie-dettori-hospital-car-crash-37376300 [Back]  [Original]

Frankie Dettori thanks fans from his hospital bed after racing icon's horror car crash - The Mirror


Skip to main content
The Mirror: The Heart of Britain
Check out our editions:

Frankie Dettori thanks fans from his hospital bed after racing icon's horror car crash

Legendary jockey Frankie Dettori was rushed to hospital yesterday following the frightening incident in Newmarket, and he says he will need some time to recover

Frankie Dettori was rushed to hospital after a horror car crash and says he's 'very sore'(Image: frankiedettori_/Instagram )

Horse racing icon Frankie Dettori said he is "very sore" after being rushed to hospital following a frightening incident that saw his car flipped over. The retired Italian rider was travelling in a car in Newmarket, Suffolk, when it was hit by another vehicle, causing a horror car crash that left the Italian with several injuries.


According to his representatives, the car spun in the road and flipped over after the rear passenger side was hit. Emergency services rushed to the scene and Dettori was later taken to hospital.


The 55-year-old was treated for a broken thumb and several broken ribs. He has remained in hospital while under further observation.


Posting on Instagram from his bed in the ward, the legendary racing star said: "Thank you, everyone, for your kind messages and support. A huge thank you as well to the fantastic emergency staff who looked after me.

"Im very sore and have a few broken ribs, so Ill be taking some time to rest and recover. I look forward to seeing you all again soon. Frankie x."

Dettori is a legend of the sport and fans feared the worst(Image: AP Photo/Ashley Landis)


Fans feared the worst after hearing the news. His representatives, H Talent Management, released a statement which read: H Talent Management can confirm that Frankie Dettori was involved in a road traffic accident in Newmarket on the evening of Wednesday, 1st July.

Another vehicle struck the rear passenger side of the car Frankie was driving, causing it to spin and flip. Frankie was taken to hospital, where he was found to have sustained several broken ribs and a broken thumb.

"His injuries are still being assessed, and he remains in hospital for further scans and observation. Frankie would like to thank the emergency services who attended the scene, together with the doctors, nurses and wider medical team caring for him.


His focus is now on resting and recovering. H Talent Management respectfully asks that Frankies privacy is respected at this time. No further comment will be made until there is a meaningful update."

Dettori hung up his saddle earlier this year, bringing an end to his illustrious career that spanned the best part of 40 years. He is a three-time British flat racing Champion Jockey and won 288 Grade 1 races, cementing his status as one of the greatest figures in the history of racing.

His finest achievement came at Ascot in October 1996 when he famously rode home all seven winners at the race meeting. Dettori has not ridden in Britain since October 2023, when he bowed out in style with a Champion Stakes victory aboard King Of Steel at Ascot.


After spending almost his entire life racing, he opted to step away in November 2025 following the Breeders' Cup in the United States. Dettori, who was awarded an honorary MBE in the 2001 New Year's Honours, now resides in California with his family.

It's not the first time Dettori has been involved in a vehicular incident. In 2000, he opened up about the horrific plane crash that claimed the life of pilot Patrick Mackey.

Article continues below

The plane burst into flames shortly after take-off and crashed back to the ground. Dettori suffered a broken ankle and damaged his thumb, and was dragged out of the wreckage through the plane's luggage compartment by his friend Ray Cochrane, who also survived the crash.

Police at the time said it was a "miracle" that the two men had survived and a full investigation was launched into the crash. It later transpired that one of the propellers had hit the ground as it accelerated for take-off, causing it to arch to the right and hit an embankment, then spin and burst into flames.

ENJOYED THIS STORY?

Choose Daily Mirror as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.

Google Preferred Source Badge [Google Preferred Source Badge]




2026 a Reach plc subsidiary
reach logo [reach logo]

At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.

Accept
Web Proxy Viewer  |  New URL  |  Original Page