| [ Web Proxy ] |
| Viewing: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/tennis/katie-boulter-emma-raducanu-wimbledon-37270780 | [Back] [Original] |
Katie Boulter once rejected Emma Raducanu's position on partnering up at Wimbledon. The pair are due to play together at Queen's on Tuesday after the British duo joined forces for the first time at the Andy Murray Arena last year, proving to be hugely popular with spectators.
Former US Open champion Raducanu and British No. 3 Boulter made it to the quarter-finals before falling to Erin Routliffe and Lyudmyla Kichenok. Their appeal at the tournament sparked speculation about whether the partnership would reform at Wimbledon later that month.
Boulter progressed to the second round in singles action while Raducanu advanced one stage further at the All England Club. However, Boulter had joked that she and Raducanu would be chasing Wimbledon doubles silverware after the latter downplayed the prospect of linking up at the Grand Slam in 2025.
When questioned about potentially partnering at the major last year, Raducanu said: "We haven't spoken about it. It kind of happened spontaneously but it went pretty well. We're just going to keep trying to do as best as we can this week and take it from there."
However, her doubles partner responded with a playful remark after the pair had advanced to the Queen's quarter-finals. "Scrap what she said - we're going for the Wimbledon title," Boulter quipped.
"I think we will take it one week at a time. For the moment, Queen's is the perfect place for us to get some matches and some time on the grass and to pair up."
Reflecting on their previous experience together, Boutler added: "It was super fun, but we both really wanted to win and had one goal in mind. So I think just being back out there again this year and getting a bit more time on the grass is important to both of us, and we'll go from there."
JOIN US ON FACEBOOK! All the best sports news and much more on our dedicated Facebook page
Raducanu echoed Boulter's thoughts before their opening match against Zhang Shuai and Storm Hunter. The 23-year-old is thrilled by the prospect of reuniting with Boulter and suggested that teaming up at Queen's could become an annual tradition.
"It's really nice to play with Katie," Raducanu said. "We try to make Queen's our tournament that we play together. I don't play doubles very often, but the experience last year was really fun.
"We had a full Court 1 watching and supporting us and it was really fun. I'm excited to hopefully do it again this year and the opportunity to play with her on a home court."
Boulter and Raducanu take on Zhuai Shang and Storm Hunter in their first match at Queen's on Tuesday, June 9. And the former will be brimming with confidence after overcoming Leylah Fernandez in her singles clash.
Boulter had to dig deep from a set down to win 3-6, 7-6 (7-4), 7-5 against her Canadian opponent. Raducanu, meanwhile, made light work of Anna Blinkova, winning out 6-0, 6-3 at the Andy Murray Arena.
Wimbledon 2026 is just around the corner and Seat Unique has tickets on sale now with VIP access.
Choose Daily Mirror as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
[Google Preferred Source Badge]At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Accept| Web Proxy Viewer | New URL | Original Page |