| [ Web Proxy ] |
| Viewing: https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/bbc-breakfasts-charlie-stayt-makes-36709071 | [Back] [Original] |
BBC Breakfasts Charlie Stayt began the latest programme with a heartbreaking news update on the worst shooting in countrys history.
During Thursdays (February 12) episode of the the TV presenter, 63, and co-star Naga Munchetty, 50, returned to our TV screens on Thursday (February 12) morning as they presented the day's top stories from the UK and beyond.
Meanwhile, meteorologist Matt Taylor was back to deliver regular weather forecasts on the show.
However, just minutes into the live show, Charlie shared a devastating announcement that a shooting had taken place in the Canadian province of British Columbia.
Sharing the news, Charlie announced: A day of mourning has been declared in the Canadian province of British Columbia after eight people were shot dead in one of the worst mass shootings in the countrys history.
He continued: Police have named the suspect as 18-year-old Jesse Van Rootseelar, who also died at the scene from a self-inflicted gunshot injury.
The camera then cut over to a news report from BBCs North American Correspondent, Simi Jolasos.
Canada is reeling from one of the deadliest school shootings in the countrys recent history following a mass shooting at a high school in the Canadian province of British Columbia that left at least eight people and the suspected shooter dead.
Officials with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police stated that the suspected shooter in the attack, which took place the previous day, was an 18-year-old woman named Jesse Van Rootselaar with a record of mental health issues.
We have a history of police attendance at the family residence. Some of those calls are related to mental health issues, Deputy Commissioner Dwayne McDonald, commander of the RCMP in British Columbia, told the press.
The RCMP said that the victims include a 39-year-old female educator, three 12-year-old female students, and two male students between the ages of 12 and 13. Two additional victims, identified as the suspects 39-year-old mother and an 11-year-old brother, were found at their family home.
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney expressed his condolences in emotional remarks earlier in the day, noting that flags will fly at half-mast at all government buildings for seven days.
We will get through this. We will learn from this, Prime Minister Mark Carney said. But right now, its a time to come together, as Canadians always do in these situations, these terrible situations, to support each other, to mourn together and to grow together.
BBC Breakfast airs everyone from 6am on BBC iPlayer
Choose Daily Mirror as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
[Google Preferred Source Badge]At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Accept| Web Proxy Viewer | New URL | Original Page |