[ Web Proxy ]
URL:
Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/ann-widdecombes-family-issues-new-37465973 [Back]  [Original]



Skip to main content
The Daily Star: News with a Wink

Ann Widdecombe's family issues new statement after man charged with murder

Ann Widdecombe was brutally attacked in her home in Devon this month - it is believed a 28-year-old man used a hammer to hit her on the top of her head 21 times

Late Reform UK member Ann Widdecombe(Image: AFP via Getty Images)

The family of late Reform UK member Ann Widdecombe have said her public memorial will be held later this year.


Widdecombe, 78, was found dead at her home in Haytor on Dartmoor, Devon, on July 9. She had sustained serious head injuries after being brutally attacked with a hammer.


Joshua Kerry, 28, from Rotherham, South Yorkshire, appeared in court on Tuesday and has been charged with her murder.


Court sketch of Joshua Kerry, 28, appearing at Westminster Magistrates' Court in London(Image: Elizabeth Cook/PA Wire)

Widdecombe's family said in a statement: "We understand that there is significant public interest in the funeral of Ann Widdecombe.

"A private service for family and close friends will be held in the coming weeks, and invitations for this ceremony have been distributed. A more public memorial will follow later in the year, the details of which will be released in due course.


"While we are very grateful for the wide expression of condolences, the family would ask that this initial service is limited to those closest to Ann."

Prosecutors have said that the Reform UK spokeswoman and former Tory minister had been eating lunch on July 8 when Kerry allegedly pulled up outside the front of her home entered through the front door.

Ann Widdecombe was hit 21 times in the head with a hammer, the court heard(Image: Ken McKay/ITV/Shutterstock)

Article continues below

Kerry then allegedly used a hammer to hit Widdecombe on the top of her head 21 times.

A provisional cause of death was given as a blunt force injury to the head, the court heard.

Detectives are still investigating any possible political or terrorist motivation linked to the killing.

ENJOYED THIS STORY?

Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.

Google Preferred Source Badge [Google Preferred Source Badge]




2026 a Reach plc subsidiary
reach logo [reach logo]

At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.

AcceptAnn Widdecombe's family issues new statement after man charged with murder - Daily Star
Web Proxy Viewer  |  New URL  |  Original Page