| [ Web Proxy ] |
| Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/breaking-air-france-airbus-guilty-37187616 | [Back] [Original] |
Air France and Airbus have been found guilty of manslaughter following a plane crash in 2009 which killed 228 people.
The Paris Appeals Court found the airline and aircraft manufacturer guilty of corporate manslaughter over the incident, in which a flight between Rio de Janeiro and Paris crashed into the Atlantic Ocean. A court had previously cleared the companies in April 2023 but they were found guilty after this appeal.
The passenger jet stalled during a storm and plunged into the water, killing all on board. The Airbus A330 disappeared from radars during the storm before its wreckage was found after a long search of 10,000 sq km (3,860 sq miles) of sea floor. The black box was found after months of deep-sea searches in 2011.
All 12 crew members and 216 passengers on board the flight were killed when the plane crashed into the sea from a height of 38,000ft (11,580m), making it the deadliest incident in French aviation history, reports BBC.
Relatives of some of the passengers, which included mainly French, Brazilian and German nationals, gathered at the verdict on Wednesday.
Both companies have been ordered to pay the maximum fine, 225,000 ($261,720; 194,500) each. However, some of the victims' families said the amount was a token penalty.
Deputy prosecutors said the companies' behaviour had been "unacceptable" during closing arguments in November, accusing them of "spouting nonsense and pulling arguments out of thin air".
Airbus and Air France denied the charges. French lawyers could launch further appeals.
In 2012, BEA crash investigators found the planes crew had pushed their jet into a stall, chopping lift from under the wings, after mishandling a problem to do with iced-up sensors.
But prosecutors focused their attention on alleged failures inside both the planemaker and airline, including poor training and failing to follow up on earlier incidents.
Prosecutors needed not only to establish that the companies were guilty of negligence to prove manslaughter, but also demonstrate how this caused the crash.
Last years appeal proceedings involved a new trial with evidence reviewed from the start. Any further appeals after Thursdays verdict will shift the focus from the AF447 cockpit to intricacies of law.
For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletters.
Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
[Google Preferred Source Badge]At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Accept| Web Proxy Viewer | New URL | Original Page |