| [ Web Proxy ] |
| Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/breaking-baby-p-mum-tracey-36113314 | [Back] [Original] |
The mum of tortured tot Baby P has been recommended for re-release from jail with a management plan by her prison offender manager, her parole hearing has heard. Tracey Connelly, 44, was jailed for causing or allowing the death of 17-month-old son Peter.
She was recalled to prison last year after secretly striking up an online fling, a parole hearing was told. The hearing was told Connelly has got an awareness of what an unhealthy relationship looks like and what the warning signs might be.
Giving evidence at Connellys parole hearing, her prison offender manager (POM) said she has been subject to abuse and threats in jail.
Asked about the abuse she has faced, Connellys POM said: Its a difficult situation but theres never been any instances of her retaliating to that. I think she has managed that appropriately reporting it to staff, seeking support from staff.
Asked if it still happens, the POM said: Unfortunately it does continue particularly when Tracey is going to work in the morning, but in terms of where she is located she is more protected there.
The official added Connelly had been able to cope with difficulties in prison and is very aware of risk assessments and has never sought to minimise that in discussions.
The parole hearing heard how Baby Peter, who died in 2007, had been subjected to a number of violent assaults and suffered a broken back, fractured ribs, missing fingernails and bruising all over his body.
Connelly had failed to disclose to social services that others were living in the house after her partner and his brother moved into the home, and a Parole Board hearing in 2013 said she had been keen to preserve her intimate relationships at all costs.
Panel chairwoman Sally Allbeury said: The 2013 panel considered there to be a major risk in the context of Ms Connelly developing an intimate relationship where she prioritises a partners needs and her own needs over those of children. Subsequent panels have had the same concerns.
The parole hearing is Connellys seventh review for release and second review since she was recalled back to prison last year.
Ms Allbeury said the reasons for her recall involved the development of an intimate relationship with a man Connelly met online which she did not tell professionals supervising her about.
She said: The circumstances closely mirrored those of her first recall and events during her time in custody following that recall as well as exhibiting offence-paralleling behaviour."
Connelly was jailed at the Old Bailey in 2009 for causing or allowing the death of tragic tot Peter at their home in Tottenham, north London, in 2007.
Baby Peter, known as just Baby P in court documents from the time, suffered barbaric injuries at the hands of his mother and her lover before he was left to die. It later emerged the authorities missed 60 opportunities to save him.
Connelly has always maintained silence over the death and pleaded guilty to causing or allowing the death of a child the following year. Her lover Steven Barker was locked up for a minimum of 12 years in 2009 for torturing the tragic tot.
His brother, Jason Owen, received a six-year jail sentence for allowing Peter to die. The case had a lasting impact on how safeguarding is carried out for vulnerable children in the UK.
Connelly is facing a public parole hearing where it will be decided whether she can be re-released or if she can be moved to open conditions. The panel had earlier heard extremely moving victim statements from Baby P's loved ones.
The chair of the parole board panel told the hearing on Wednesday, which is being livestreamed, that they heard statements by Peters loved ones in private.
Ms Allbeury added: Those statements told the panel about the ongoing impact on the authors of Peters death and their concerns about Ms Connellys potential release.
Each one has also requested in the event of Ms Connellys release that certain conditions be put in place to protect them. We found these statements extremely moving. There can be no doubt that Peters death has caused lifelong harm to those who loved him.
For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.
Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
[Google Preferred Source Badge]At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Accept| Web Proxy Viewer | New URL | Original Page |