[ Web Proxy ]
URL:
Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/breaking-part-major-uk-airport-35897634 [Back]  [Original]

Part of Manchester Airport evacuated over 'gas leak' reports hours after 'collision' - Daily Star


Skip to main content
The Daily Star: News with a Wink

Part of Manchester Airport evacuated over 'gas leak' reports hours after 'collision'

Staff and members of the public were evacuated from the Runway Visitor Park at Manchester Airport today (Saturday, September 13) following unconfirmed reports of a gas leak

Staff and members of the public could be seen leaving buildings at the airports Runway Visitor Park(Image: Supplied)

People have been evacuated from a section of Manchester Airport today (Saturday, September 13).


Staff and members of the public could be seen leaving buildings at the airports Runway Visitor Park in footage shared from the scene following unconfirmed reports of a gas leak.


Alarms can be heard in videos taken and shared as large numbers of people exit the visitor area. A spokesperson for Manchester Airport told the Daily Star the visitor park is now back up and running.


It is understood fire services have attended and vehicles are at the scene. Footage showed vehicles and personnel descending upon the airport.

A member of the public told the Manchester Evening News: I'm currently at Manchester Airport Visitor Centre where three fire engines are in attendance, along with two fire and rescue vehicles, as well as airport security.

The whole buildings around the Visitor Centre have been evacuated as far as we know, or we've been made aware of everyone to move away into the car park due to a gas leak.


Fire services attended the scene(Image: X / @gazefc67)

When the Daily Star contacted Manchester Airport for comment, they said the Runway Visitor Park - which is run separately to the airport but sits on its land - had confirmed the incident was caused by the smell of gas from a kitchen.

It comes following reports an easyJet plane had been grounded at the same airport today after a tug vehicle made contact with the aircraft.


Flight EZY 2029 was bound for Lanzarote from Terminal 1 before the tug vehicle made contact with the front wheels of the plane, sparking a from on-site rescue crews.

easyJet confirmed there was no evacuation of the aircraft. However, passengers were asked to disembark and taken back to the terminal, where they were provided with refreshments so checks could be completed.

easyJet said the checks were "precautionary" and a "routine measure only."


Other flights were not impacted by the operation, which saw one boarding gate at the airport put out of action, Manchester Airport confirmed.

An easyJet spokesperson told the Daily Star: Flight EZY2029 from Manchester to Lanzarote this morning has been delayed departing after the tug came into contact with the aircraft during pushback from the terminal.

"Emergency services attended the aircraft as a precautionary and routine measure only.


"Passengers disembarked and returned to the terminal where we are providing refreshments while we arrange for an alternative aircraft to operate the flight this afternoon.

Safety is our highest priority and we are sorry for any inconvenience caused by the delay.

It's been a busy week for UK airports after Heathrow Terminal 4 was evacuated on Monday evening following a possible 'hazardous materials' incident on Monday evening.

Article continues below

A spokesperson for London Fire Brigade said: "Firefighters are responding to a possible hazardous materials incident at Heathrow Airport. Specialist crews have been deployed to carry out an assessment of the scene, and part of the airport has been evacuated as a precaution whilst firefighters respond.

"The brigade was first called about the incident at 17:01, and crews from Feltham, Heathrow, Wembley and surrounding fire stations have been sent to the scene." While a Heathrow Airport spokesperson said: "Terminal 4 check in has been closed and evacuated while emergency services respond to an incident."

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletters.

ENJOYED THIS STORY?

Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.

Google Preferred Source Badge [Google Preferred Source Badge]




2026 a Reach plc subsidiary
reach logo [reach logo]

At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.

Accept
Web Proxy Viewer  |  New URL  |  Original Page