[ Web Proxy ]
URL:
Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/breaking-terror-cops-called-after-37326441 [Back]  [Original]

Edinburgh attacks: 5 injured in street as topless man shouts he's 'protecting country' - Daily Star


Skip to main content
The Daily Star: News with a Wink

Terror cops called after 5 injured as topless man shouts he's 'protecting the country'

Police Scotland have charged a man after five people were injured across Edinburgh as footage went viral showing a bare-chested man with a weapon on the street shouting he was "protecting the country

Video footage was shared online of a bare-chested man carrying a weapon in Edinburgh(Image: Facebook/Edinburgh Live)

Police Scotland have confirmed a 36-year-old man has been charged in connection with a series of attacks in Edinburgh after footage went viral showing a bare-chested man with a weapon on the streets. Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer has spoken out over the incident which he said appeared to be motivated by anti-Muslim hatred.


Counter-terrorism officers were brought in to investigate the attacks across Edinburgh on Friday (June 19) which left five people injured. The force said on Saturday (June 20) that a white Scottish man had been arrested.


Footage posted online showed a bare-chested man roaming the streets of Edinburgh with a large weapon. While another clip seems to show a man battering the door of a pizzeria.


The man was heard shouting he was 'protecting the country'(Image: Edward Hughes /PA Wire)

Police closed off Leith Walk on Friday evening as the incidents unfolded. Another video appeared to show a topless man on the ground shouting that he is protecting the country as he is held by an officer.

Officers were called to a report of an incident in the Sighthill area of the city, where two men were injured, at around 8.50pm on Friday.


Police said they then received reports about incidents around retailers across the west and north of the city.

The force said that during this period three other men were allegedly attacked in the Telford Road and Leith Walk area.

Police said that five men two aged 22, and others aged 24, 27, and 39 sustained a range of injuries. Three needed hospital treatment, although none of the injuries are life-threatening.


The force said late on Saturday night (June 20): A 36-year-old man has been charged in connection with a number of incidents which took place in Edinburgh on Friday, 19 June, 2026.

A report has been submitted to the procurator fiscal, and the individual will appear at court in due course.

A man who was working at the Shell garage on Telford Road said he, a colleague and a customer heard noise outside and stayed inside the shop and locked the doors as the incident unfolded on Friday evening (June 19).


Uday Kiran Naga told the Press Association: We closed the door and I locked the door. It was very, very scary. We called the police and I think people outside called the police. The police came very quickly, two or three vehicles.

He said people in the area have been left shocked by the incident, adding: Customers are coming in saying its scary, its incredible. Nothing like this has happened before.

Several of the victims are Muslim, according to the Muslim Engagement and Development (Mend) organisation. Police said a 36-year-old man was detained at around 9.30pm on Friday.


Sir Keir earlier on Saturday posted on X, linking to an image of a bare-chested man carrying a large weapon, saying: Absolutely appalling. No one should face violence on our streets.

The suspect appears to be motivated by anti-Muslim hatred. I will not tolerate this he will face the full force of the law.

My thoughts are with those who are injured and I thank the police and the emergency services for their response.


Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood said she was horrified by the violence, which appeared to be motivated by anti-Muslim hatred, while Police Scotland Assistant Chief Constable Catriona Paton said it was a shocking and her thoughts are with those who were injured and most directly affected.

Ms Mahmood said she was grateful to the police and emergency services for their bravery in apprehending the suspect and for their speedy response in attending to the victims.

She added: There is no place for hatred and violence against Muslims. I know it is not who we are as a country.


Assistant Chief Constable Paton said: I want to send a clear message of support to all our communities that there is no place for racism or faith-based hate in a Scotland which is at its best when we stand together.

Officers responded to multiple reports of a fast-moving sequence of events across Edinburgh before arresting a man and public safety was our priority.

Extensive work is ongoing to establish all the circumstances.


The force is working with Counter Terrorism Policing and under the direction of the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service.

She added: I want to thank our officers who responded with bravery and professionalism, and with a focus on protecting the public.

Im hugely grateful for the support and assistance of our communities and would appeal for anyone with any information to share it with police.

Article continues below

A Major Incident Public Portal (MIPP) has been set up to encourage members of the public to submit information directly to officers.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletters.

ENJOYED THIS STORY?

Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.

Google Preferred Source Badge [Google Preferred Source Badge]




2026 a Reach plc subsidiary
reach logo [reach logo]

At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.

Accept
Web Proxy Viewer  |  New URL  |  Original Page