[ Web Proxy ]
URL:
Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/gamers-brand-trumps-tariffs-diabolical-34997503 [Back]  [Original]

Gamers brand Trump's tariffs 'diabolical' as Nintendo delay Switch 2 pre-orders due to impact - Daily Star


Skip to main content
The Daily Star: News with a Wink

Gamers brand Trump's tariffs 'diabolical' as Nintendo delay Switch 2 pre-orders due to impact

The Orange Manbaby was accused of "gambling with the world economy" with his tariff announcement this week, but an unanticipated affect has been the delaying of pre-orders for the Nintendo Switch 2

Gamers have been hit by the tariff bombshell(Image: AFP via Getty Images)

Gamers wanting to buy the new Nintendo Switch 2 have been left fuming after their pre-orders were delayed due to Donald Trump's tariffs bombshell.


Fans that had been impatiently waiting since January for more information were delighted when the new device was confirmed earlier this week.


But in a further statement issued on Friday, Nintendo said pre-orders for the console in the US will not start on April 9 as previously planned "in order to assess the potential impact of tariffs and evolving market conditions".


The company said the launch date of June 5 announced just hours before the Orange Manbaby's tariff roll out is unchanged.

The Nintendo Switch 2 was announced this week to much fanfare(Image: AFP via Getty Images)

However, social media users were stunned by the announcement, especially after Nintendo said it will update timing at a later date.


One wrote: "This is too much. Trump has crossed the line. I'm f*****g seething." Another said Nintendo and Trump combined were "absolutely tanking peoples desire to buy the Switch 2."

The price of the Switch 2 was revealed as $449 (347) this week, $150 (115) more than the original Switch and $50 more than the mostly expected price of $400 (309).

Fans can't wait to get their hands on the new console... but they might have to(Image: PA)


President Trump was accused of "gambling with the world economy" as his tariff plan sparked economic chaos and fears of a global recession.

The tariffs include 24% slapped on Japan and 46% on Vietnam, where Nintendo now has moved some production of its hardware and components.

Another social media user said: "So the prices were set BEFORE even considering the tariffs? US gamers are cooked."


Donald Trump was accused of "gambling with the world economy" with his tariff bombshell(Image: AFP via Getty Images)

A fourth raged: "Not Nintendo's fault that Trump introduced tariffs to the US. Most countries actually have fair pricing. In the UK the prices for switch 2 are almost identical to the original except for physical versions."

The Switch 2 was revealed in a Nintendo Direct online presentation watched by more than a million people this week, ending months of speculation.


Fans were overjoyed when the company confirmed further details of the hardware, as well as confirming it would be accompanied by Mario Kart World, a new edition of Nintendo's most famous game.

Gamers have been left fuming at Donald Trump(Image: AFP via Getty Images)

But in a statement provided to Polygon on Friday, it said: Pre-orders for Nintendo Switch 2 in the U.S. will not start April 9, 2025 in order to assess the potential impact of tariffs and evolving market conditions. Nintendo will update timing at a later date. The launch date of June 5, 2025 is unchanged.

Article continues below

The original Nintendo Switch, one of the best-selling consoles of all time, has shifted more than 150 million units since its 2017 release. Only Sony's PS2 and Nintendo's own DS have proved more popular.

Its hybrid format - allowing players to use it as a handheld device or hooked up to a TV in a more traditional home console set-up - is thought to be one of the big reasons behind its success.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

ENJOYED THIS STORY?

Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.

Google Preferred Source Badge [Google Preferred Source Badge]




2026 a Reach plc subsidiary
reach logo [reach logo]

At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.

Accept
Web Proxy Viewer  |  New URL  |  Original Page