| [ Web Proxy ] |
| Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/murder-squad-cops-granted-extra-37562110 | [Back] [Original] |
Murder squad cops have been granted extra time to quiz a dog owner suspected of setting his German Shepherd on another man after two key witnesses came forward with new information.
The pair tried to help the 55-year-old alleged victim when he was left critically ill after being bitten by the dog following an altercation on a country path. He died six hours later in hospital.
Police arrested a man, also aged 55, on suspicion of murder and owning a dog dangerously out of control in a public space causing injury.
Detectives said they had been granted a warrant of further detention to carry on questioning the suspect after the two women answered an appeal to come forward.
Officers are probing if the animal was used as a weapon in an attack on a path along a disused railway line in the village of Calder Grove, near Wakefield, West Yorks, at lunchtime on Saturday.
The dog was seized by police at the scene and remains in their custody.
Det Chief Insp Michael Cox, of West Yorkshire Polices Homicide and Major Enquiry Team, said: The two people who stopped to assist and direct police have both come forward and given their accounts to us.
I would like to thank them and others who have shared our appeal or come forward with information.
We are aware of some inaccurate discussion online about the person we have in custody and would urge people to avoid speculation about those involved and what has taken place.
If there is anyone else who was in the area at the time of this incident or anyone else who has information that could assist our enquiries then I would ask them to please make contact with the investigation team.
We are continuing to question the man who we have in custody, and our enquiries are continuing at a pace to understand the events leading up to this mans death.
We are also offering specialist support to the mans family at this extremely distressing time.
Police can hold a suspect for 24 hours without charge which a superintendent can extend to 36 hours for serious crimes. After that officers should either charge or release them.
Another option is to obtain a warrant of further detention by applying to a magistrates court under Section 43 of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 - aka PACE - before the 36-hour period of detention expires.
Police make a formal application on oath supported by evidence of why a further period of custody is justified.
The suspect appears in person and is entitled to legal representation at the hearing held in private.
The court will only issue the warrant if it is satisfied further detention is necessary to secure or preserve evidence or continue questioning and JPs are satisfied inquiries are being conducted diligently and speedily.
An initial warrant can extend custody up to a maximum of 72 hours from the time of arrest.
Further extensions can push the absolute maximum limit up to 96 hours.
In this case police were called to the scene at 1.36pm on Saturday though they have not released what time the suspect was arrested.
That means the initial magistrates warrant will run until at least 1.36pm on Tuesday.
Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
[Google Preferred Source Badge]At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Accept| Web Proxy Viewer | New URL | Original Page |