[ Web Proxy ]
URL:
Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/mystery-scots-womans-phone-used-37493830 [Back]  [Original]

Mystery as British woman's phone 'used for days' before body found stuffed in suitcase - Daily Star


Skip to main content
The Daily Star: News with a Wink

Mystery as British woman's phone 'used for days' before body found stuffed in suitcase

The body of Elisabeth-Jane Ross, 38, was found in a suitcase in a derelict building in the Kypseli area of Athens on July 18 - police say her phone was used to send messages to her family asking to be left alone

Elizabeth travelled to Greece on June 29(Image: cretalive.gr)

A phone belonging to a Scottish woman whose body was discovered in a suitcase in Greece was used to send messages to here family after her death. The remains of Elisabeth-Jane Ross, 38, were found by a homeless person in a derelict building in the Kypseli district of Athens on July 18.


She is thought to have died between five and seven days prior to being discovered. It has been reported that Greek police suspect her mobile was used to send messages following her death, in an apparent bid to throw those searching for her off the trail. From July 15 to 29, several messages had been sent to Elisabeths relatives pretending to be the Brit, according to news site Flash.


They reportedly said that she needed some time by herself and wanted to be left alone for a while. The last trace of the phone was found in the capital of Athens before it was switched off.


Elizabeth Jane Ross has been named as the victim in the horror incident in Greece(Image: cretalive.gr)

According to local media, after arriving in Greece she initially lodged with friends in the town of Keratsini, in the Athens Urban Area, before meeting American friends in Kypseli on July 15.

Speaking on BBC Reporting Scotland on Thursday, the Guardian newspaper's Athens correspondent Helena Smith said Ms Ross had been in Greece for about two weeks before she died.


"She had been staying with a Greek friend here in the in the capital, and then she disappeared," Ms Smith said.

"It would seem that someone had control, and I use that word very deliberately, over her mobile phone after she died, and was sending messages clearly to distract from the scent, to distract the authorities and her close friends from trying to track her down."

Elisabeth arrived in Greece on June 29 after flying out from Edinburgh, according to the Hellenic Police.


Officers from Greeces main federal law enforcement agency say they are looking into the possibility of whether she was accompanied by another person or if someone was waiting for her at the airport.

Her body was found on Evelpidon Street in Kypseli (file)(Image: Google)

Elisabeth is believed to have stayed at a friends house in Attica before leaving for Kypseli on July 15.


Three days later, her body was found at 7 Evelpidon Street in the neighbourhood of Kypseli shortly after 1pm.

There were no visible wounds on the body or any clear signs of a struggle, police confirmed.

It has been reported that the identity of the body could not be established at first because it did not have any signs of identification.


Greek police authorities identified it after Interpol examined fingerprint data. A representative for the Greek police stated: "Further details have been requested regarding when she arrived in Greece, how, and with whom.

"We cannot provide further details at this stage, as the investigation is fully under way."

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office commented: "Our thoughts are with Elisabeth's family during this difficult time. We are providing consular support and are in contact with the local authorities."

Article continues below

A spokesperson for Police Scotland said: "We are aware of the death of a Scottish woman in Athens and are liaising with authorities in Greece.

"Officers are providing support to her family in Scotland."

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletters.

ENJOYED THIS STORY?

Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.

Google Preferred Source Badge [Google Preferred Source Badge]




2026 a Reach plc subsidiary
reach logo [reach logo]

At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.

Accept
Web Proxy Viewer  |  New URL  |  Original Page