[ Web Proxy ]
URL:
Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/parade-crash-driver-paul-doyle-36407792 [Back]  [Original]



Skip to main content
The Daily Star: News with a Wink

Parade crash driver Paul Doyle bit man's ear off in pub fight as dark side emerges

Paul Doyle was described as 'a nice guy' by neighbours after he mowed down fans during Liverpool's victory parade - but in court today his dark past came back to haunt him

Paul Doyle arrested by police following parade crash

Liverpool parade driver Paul Doyle's dark past has come back to haunt him in court. During his sentencing hearing at Liverpool Crown Court, the prosecution revealed he had bitten a man's ear off in a pub fight.


Paul Greaney KC, prosecuting, said Doyle was jailed for 12 months in November 1994 for causing grievous bodily harm after biting off the ear of another man in a fight in July the previous year. When he was interviewed by police earlier this year after the parade incident, he said he had become involved in a drunken fight with sailors.


The final previous offences he was convicted of before his guilty pleas last month were a minor offence of dishonesty and breach of the peace in Scotland in December 1993, the court heard.


Mr Greaney said between the ages of 18 and 22 Doyle was convicted of offences, including serious violence. He said: The prosecution recognises that in the 30 years between his release from prison in May 1995 and his dreadful actions on May 26 2025, the defendant had taken steps to live a positive and productive life.

During that period, he was convicted of no offences. He went to university. He worked, including in positions of responsibility.


He had a family. Those efforts to rehabilitate himself after a difficult early adulthood only serve to make more shocking and tragic what he did in Liverpool that day this May.

Doyle cried in the dock as Mr Greaney spoke.

Mr Greaney said Paul Doyle enlisted in the Royal Marines at age 19, after a short period in the Royal Engineers. He signed up for 22 years service but was discharged in January 1993, 22 months after enlisting.


Doyle has a troubled past(Image: PA)

Doyle did not see active service and was discharged on a basis that his services were no longer required, the court heard. Mr Greaney said Doyle had both civilian and service convictions.

When Doyle was in the Royal Engineers in 1989, he committed a military offence equated to common assault and was give seven days detention, he said.


The court heard in March the following year, aged 18, Doyle was fined for a minor offence of dishonesty.

In October 1991, at the end of Paul Doyles 32-week training period for the Royal Marines at the Commando Training Centre in Lympstone, Devon, he had what he later described as a scuffle with men in a nightclub.

He said after he was thrown out, the men were waiting for him and he got the better of them.


The scene in the wake of the incident

He punched another person in the face several times and was convicted of a section 20 assault and fined by Exeter Magistrates Court.

In February 1992, he was convicted of two military offences one of using violence to a superior officer and one of conduct to the prejudice of good order and military discipline and in July that year he was convicted of a military offence equivalent to criminal damage, the court heard.


In the aftermath of the crash, Doyle's neighbours had described the married dad as nothing more than a friendly man.

One neighbour, who wished to remain anonymous, told the ECHO that Doyle was known locally as "Mr Healthy Dude."

At the time, they said: "He meditates, doesn't drink and he would go out on the grass outside in his bare feet to ground himself. He was a fit guy. He hasn't drunk for as long as I have known him."


Paul Doyle's past was unearthed during his sentencing

They further added: "My perception of Paul is a family man, a really good neighbour, a friendly guy."

Another neighbour added: "The family are lovely, no one has a bad word to say about them."

Article continues below

Doyle admitted dangerous driving, affray, 17 charges of attempting to cause grievous bodily harm (GBH) with intent, nine counts of causing GBH with intent and three counts of wounding with intent last month.

The youngest victim was six-month-old Teddy Eveson, whose parents later told media he was thrown about 15 feet down the road in his pram during the crash.

For updates on the sentencing hearing, read our live blog.

ENJOYED THIS STORY?

Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.

Google Preferred Source Badge [Google Preferred Source Badge]




2026 a Reach plc subsidiary
reach logo [reach logo]

At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.

AcceptParade crash driver Paul Doyle bit man's ear off in pub fight as dark side emerges - Daily Star
Web Proxy Viewer  |  New URL  |  Original Page