[ Web Proxy ]
URL:
Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/police-issue-bombshell-lucy-letby-36932833 [Back]  [Original]



Skip to main content
The Daily Star: News with a Wink

Police issue bombshell Lucy Letby statement as they hit back at Tory MP's claims

Cheshire Constabulary said it "strongly refutes" claims made by Sir David Davis about the Lucy Letby case in which he accused its officers of breaking a series of rules while building a case around her

Letby was jailed for life after being convicted of murdering seven babies(Image: Chester Standard / SWNS)

The police force which investigated Lucy Letby has hit out at those attempting to destroy reputations after a veteran Tory MP accused officers of ignoring or breaking rules while working on the case.


Cheshire Constabulary said it strongly refutes the comments made by former cabinet minister Sir David Davis in the House of Commons on Thursday, in which he claimed there had been multiple deviations from best professional practice.


Letby, 35, from Hereford, is serving 15 whole-life orders after she was convicted at Manchester Crown Court of murdering seven infants and attempting to murder seven others between June 2015 and June 2016.


Letby was convicted for murder and attempted murder(Image: PA)

The babies were attacked by various means while Letby worked as a nurse on the neonatal unit at the Countess of Chester Hospital.

In a statement issued on Friday, the force said it remains confident in the integrity of the investigation, adding that the constant noise surrounding the case undermines public confidence in the justice system.


The statement read: Cheshire Constabulary strongly refutes all the points made during the adjournment debate. It implied impropriety on the part of Cheshire Constabulary where none whatsoever has been established.

Letby worked at the Countess of Chester Hospital(Image: Getty Images)

We remain confident in the integrity of the investigation, the conduct of the prosecution, and the decisions reached by the courts.


Sir David told ministers he would write to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) to call for a review into the conduct of the force, having previously branded the case as one of the major injustices of modern times.

The former Brexit Secretary called for the force to release a series of documents, including investigators policy books and decision books, records of identified lines of inquiry and minutes from meetings.

Tory MP David Davis, who made the claims, has called for a retrial on Letby's convictions(Image: PA)


Davis said medical management at the neonatal unit at the Countess of Chester Hospital, where Letby is accused of killing tots, was "at worst, appalling".

The week after Letby was suspended, it was downgraded and prevented from taking any more seriously ill babies. Davis said Cheshire Police ignored this and the Letby trial jury was never told.

Letbys case is being reviewed by the Criminal Cases Review Commission (CCRC), after judges rejected her bids to challenge her convictions. In their statement, Cheshire Constabulary said it is essential scrutiny is grounded in fact.


Davis told MPs he would write to the Director of Public Prosecutions to ask him to review the behaviour of the police and prosecutors(Image: Ian Vogler / Daily Mirror)

It continued: Over the past two years, the force has come under constant criticism and has been intensely scrutinised and subject to unpleasant opinion from a core group of individuals who appear to pride themselves on spreading misinformation, making baseless claims and attempting to destroy reputations.

While scrutiny of policing is legitimate and welcome, it is essential that such scrutiny is grounded in fact and does not inadvertently cut across due process, ongoing legal considerations, or the independence of the judiciary.


The constant noise surrounding this case, inaccurate or partial information being presented as fact and attempts to hijack the perceived narrative risk undermining public confidence not only in this case, but in the wider criminal justice system.

Letby denied killing seven babies and trying to kill seven more(Image: MEN MEDIA)

Public confidence is best served by evidence-based discussion and responsible commentary not ill-informed personal opinions and inaccurate details. We are committed to victim-focused justice, public confidence and the rule of law.

Article continues below

Our thoughts remain with the families of the babies, who have always been at the heart of this case.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

ENJOYED THIS STORY?

Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.

Google Preferred Source Badge [Google Preferred Source Badge]




2026 a Reach plc subsidiary
reach logo [reach logo]

At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.

AcceptPolice issue bombshell Lucy Letby statement as they hit back at Tory MP's claims - Daily Star
Web Proxy Viewer  |  New URL  |  Original Page