[ Web Proxy ]
URL:
Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/police-reopen-probe-uni-workers-37432385 [Back]  [Original]

Major update in case of uni worker's Ann Widdecombe 'extremely painful' death posts - Daily Star


Skip to main content
The Daily Star: News with a Wink

Major update in case of uni worker's Ann Widdecombe 'extremely painful' death posts

Heather Herbert took to social media platform Bluesky in the wake of Ann Widdecombe's death to say 'some good news for once' and 'I hope she died an extremely painful death'

Heather Herbert has stood over her comments(Image: Heather Herbert/Facebook)

A police probe into comments made by a political activist celebrating the death of Ann Widdecombe has been reopened. Uni worker Heather Herbert wrote in a social media post that she hoped the 78-year-old "died a painful death" and was "handcuffed to a bed as she screamed in agony".

Outrage erupted after the web developer at the University of Aberdeen said the former Conservative MP's death was "good news". Police Scotland have revealed they are now looking into the posts which were uploaded before the death was being treated as a murder.

The posts were initially found to not be a criminal matter but the cops have now said "additional inquiries" are underway. A spokesperson said: We received reports on Saturday, 11 July, 2026 relating to a post made online.

Herbert is a uni worker(Image: Heather Herbert/Facebook)

Following further assessment, additional inquiries are being carried out.

Ms Herbert's employers are also said to be investigating the posts made on BlueSky. A spokesperson told The Press and Journal: We are aware of the comments being referred to online and are looking into the matter.

The uni worker has defended the comments, calling the reaction "hugely overblown".

Ann Widdecombe was found dead on Thursday last week(Image: Getty)

Yesterday, it was announced by counter-terrorism police that Widdecombe was the victim of a "targeted attack". The former MEP was discovered deceased at her residence in Haytor on Dartmoor, Devon, last Thursday.

Counter-terrorism police have now taken the lead in the investigation into the former Conservative minister's death following the emergence of new evidence. However, a senior officer emphasised that the murder and terror investigations are currently proceeding "in parallel".

Head of Counter Terrorism Policing, Assistant Commissioner Laurence Taylor informed reporters: "It is clear that this was a targeted attack. We are still working to understand the extent of any planning or preparation, and the motivation that sits behind that attack.

"I wouldn't want to comment on what that motivation was. The two investigations are running in parallel. In terms of the preparation and planning, we are aware that there has been some preparation and planning. I don't want to go into the details of the extent of that at this stage."

Article continues below
[]

Join Gold Star!

Gold Star is the latest chapter in the evolution of the Daily Star. Our premium digital service has launched, offering you even more of our brilliant journalism but with even fewer adverts.

And if you do, this is what youll get:

- A new ad-lite subscription service offering unlimited access to Gold Star and our app, as well as a cleaner viewing experience with far fewer ads

- Access to exclusive subscriber-only articles crafted specifically for readers who want their stories to dig a little deeper. This will include unique insight from our writers alongside thought-provoking comment

- Bespoke special offers, rewards and competitions from our partners

- Access our Gold Nuggets, the juiciest picks from the Daily Star - no digging required!

- The most fun you can have with a daily news brand anywhere in the world!

Membership starts at 1.99 a month or 12 for the year. These are both Gold Star launch offers for the next 12 months so make sure you dont miss out.

Click on this article to subscribe

ENJOYED THIS STORY?

Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.

Google Preferred Source Badge [Google Preferred Source Badge]




2026 a Reach plc subsidiary
reach logo [reach logo]

At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.

Accept
Web Proxy Viewer  |  New URL  |  Original Page