[ Web Proxy ]
URL:
Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/ricky-hattons-son-says-dads-37344279 [Back]  [Original]

Ricky Hattons son says dad's death saved him from taking his life due to addiction - Daily Star


Skip to main content
The Daily Star: News with a Wink

Ricky Hattons son says dad's death saved him from taking his life due to addiction

The son of Ricky Hatton has stated his father's death stopped him from taking his own life as the 25-year-old was battling with substance abuse and even attempted suicide previously

Campbell Hatton has pulled back the lid on his battles with mental health

Ricky Hattons son has said his fathers death saved him as he admitted he was only weeks away from taking his own life.


Campbell Hatton, 25, has pulled back the lid and revealed he battled with substance abuse during the end of his career in the ring. The former boxer added he even attempted to end his own life. Campbell, the son of the late and great boxing legend , retired from the sport after he suffered back to back defeats and felt like he had lost his love for fighting.


The 25-year-olds father Ricky died at age 46 at his home in Hyde, Greater Manchester on September 14 last year. An inquest into the fighter's death revealed he suffered from brain injury caused by his boxing career. During the inquest into Hatton's death Campbell told the court his father was "very happy, always very laid back, except when it came to sport."


Campbell Hatton, 25, son of Ricky Hatton

He described how his dad "lived his life in and out of the ring at 100%" but struggled with mental health battles and memory loss.

Campbell stated: "We felt he had been in the best place he had been in for years." He added there was a "decline in his father's short-term memory" over recent years before his death.


Campbell Hatton said his father 'lived his life in and out of the ring at 100%'

Speaking to ITV about his own struggles Campbell stated: Ive spent time in rehab and I was just off the rails.

There was a six months where I lost four people who were really close to me. Even before, Id struggled to come to terms with retiring from boxing.


He added: Drinking was always part of that and I was getting treatment for addiction with cocaine as well. I think it all goes hand-in-hand.

Ricky Hatton with his son Campbell in 2001

He said: There was no thought to the future and its a bit of miracle that I am still here. Campbell added: When the police were breaking the news [of Rickys death], a lot of my family thought it going to be about me and it probably were not far wrong. It was probably weeks off.


Campbell stated losing Ricky did sort of save me because I had to sort myself out. Since his fathers death Campbell has taken massive steps forwards and is now preparing to step back into the ring. The 25-year-old has announced his return to the sport will be in June 2026 after Campbell signed a multi-fight deal with Misfits Boxing.

Ricky and Campbell Hatton

Campbell, who holds a very respectable 14-2 professional record in the ring, is aiming to honour his fathers legacy in a potential clash with the son of legendary former boxing champion Prince Naseem Hamed, Aadam Hamed.

Article continues below
[]

Join Gold Star!

Gold Star is the latest chapter in the evolution of the Daily Star. Our premium digital service has launched, offering you even more of our brilliant journalism but with even fewer adverts.

And if you do, this is what youll get:

- A new ad-lite subscription service offering unlimited access to Gold Star and our app, as well as a cleaner viewing experience with far fewer ads

- Access to exclusive subscriber-only articles crafted specifically for readers who want their stories to dig a little deeper. This will include unique insight from our writers alongside thought-provoking comment

- Bespoke special offers, rewards and competitions from our partners

- Access our Gold Nuggets, the juiciest picks from the Daily Star - no digging required!

- The most fun you can have with a daily news brand anywhere in the world!

Membership starts at 1.99 a month or 12 for the year. These are both Gold Star launch offers for the next 12 months so make sure you dont miss out.

Click on this article to subscribe

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletters .

ENJOYED THIS STORY?

Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.

Google Preferred Source Badge [Google Preferred Source Badge]




2026 a Reach plc subsidiary
reach logo [reach logo]

At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.

Accept
Web Proxy Viewer  |  New URL  |  Original Page