| [ Web Proxy ] |
| Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/us-news/bloke-left-sounding-like-mickey-29331721 | [Back] [Original] |
A man living near the site of a toxic train wreck says he's been left sounding like 'Micky Mouse'.
Wade Lovett, from East Palestine, Ohio, says he's been having trouble breathing and has been left feeling like he's "drowning" ever since a train carrying hazardous materials derailed in his village on February 3.
Around 50 cars of the freight train, which was operated by Norfolk Southern, were damaged in the horror crash, igniting a huge fire that saw cancer-causing chemicals seep into the air, water and soil.
READ MORE: New probe says Covid did leak from lab as opposed to bats as previously believed
Despite reassurances from authorities that the area is safe, locals have since been complaining of feeling sick, with some reporting symptoms including headaches and rashes.
But Wade, 40, an auto detailer, has reportedly been experiencing a bizarre symptom causing his voice to sound high pitched as well as other painful health concerns.
He told the New York Post: "My voice sounds like Mickey Mouse. My normal voice is low. Its hard to breathe, especially at night.
"My chest hurts so much at night I feel like Im drowning. I cough up phlegm a lot. I lost my job because the doctor wont release me to go to work.
Fearing an explosion after the train wreck, authorities initially evacuated the area and performed a controlled burn of the toxic materials, which sent a huge cloud of black smoke into the sky.
Evacuation orders were lifted on February 8 but locals returning to the area have claimed to have experienced a number of health issues since.
Natural resource officials have also estimated that over 43,000 animals have died around East Palestine since the derailment.
Despite this, Lovett claims that no one has been able to help him with his symptoms, he said: "Doctors say I definitely have the chemicals in me but theres no one in town who can run the toxicological tests to find out which ones they are."
Officials have said that air testing in the village and inside hundreds of homes hasn't detected any concerning levels of contamination and that the drinking water is safe.
But residents have still been left worried about what they are being exposed to and have launched a class action lawsuit against Norfolk Southern, alleging that efforts by the company and authorities to clean up the toxic wreck actually made the situation worse.
Attorney John Morgan said: "Residents exposed to vinyl chloride may already be undergoing DNA mutations that could linger for years or even decades before manifesting as terrible and deadly cancers."
READ NEXT:
Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
[Google Preferred Source Badge]At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Accept| Web Proxy Viewer | New URL | Original Page |