| [ Web Proxy ] |
| Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/brit-dad-dies-mysteriously-cambodia-28636789 | [Back] [Original] |
Police are investigating the strange death of a British dad found in Cambodia with a bin bag wrapped round his head.
Jonathan Stock, 34, originally from Newcastle was sleeping at home when his wife Meiling, 39, took their two kids on the school run on Wednesday.
When she returned three hours later, she found her husband dead in the doorway with a black plastic bag wrapped round his head.
READ MORE: Man accused of cutting off wife's head called 'completely unhinged' by neighbours
Chief inspector Lim Puthyla said: "We are closely looking at the case. Our investigators will interview other people who knew the deceased. We will find the true cause of death."
Local media reported certain "inconsistencies" between Meiling's evidence to police and what she told reporters.
She allegedly told a journalist that Jonathan was "cooking breakfast" when she left but is thought to have told police her husband was "asleep".
Neighbours are quoted as saying the couple were "often in conflict" and that they had "a dispute" the night before his death.
Police waiting on a post-mortem report to establish the cause of death, which happened in Battambang Province, far northwest of the country.
Meiling said told police: "I woke up my child and we went to her Chinese school. My husband asked to sleep more.
"After school I went to eat noodles at the market. When I arrived home around 9:20 am, I saw my husband dead by the doorway."
Jonathan, who was a Christian missionary school teacher, was at first thought to have committed suicide, but questions are now being raised as to whether his death was the result of a homicide.
Meiling reportedly called her mother and brother for help as well as contacting the police after finding her husband dead.
Jonathan had lived in Cambodia for more than a decade is the author of several books on the Khmer language and also ran a coffee shop with his wife.
Officers are appealing for any witnesses to come forward.
The British Embassy in Phnom Penh said Jonathan's family had been informed of his death.
"We request relevant local authorities to assist in this matter and allow the family make proceed with funeral arrangement accordingly," they said.
READ NEXT:
Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
[Google Preferred Source Badge]At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Accept| Web Proxy Viewer | New URL | Original Page |