| [ Web Proxy ] |
| Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/disney-reveals-location-new-theme-35186777 | [Back] [Original] |
Walt Disney has announced its plans to open its first theme park in the Middle East - a huge moment for rollercoaster daredevils across the globe.
The new resort, in the UAE on Abu Dhabis Yas Island, is a collaboration between Walt Disney and the local leisure and entertainment company Miral. Disney already has resorts across North America, Europe and Asia. Its most recent opening was in Shanghai in 2016.
Miral has made Yas Island into a popular tourist destination, and already oversees SeaWorld and Warner Bros World where it is developing a Harry Potter-themed park. Disney said the UAE was located within a four-hour flight of one-third of the world's population, making it a "significant gateway for tourism" in a statement.
It said 120 million passengers travel through Abu Dhabi and Dubai every year, making the Emirates the biggest global airline hub in the world.
Disney chief executive Robert Iger described the plans for the new park as a "thrilling" moment for the company. He added that Disneyland Abu Dhabi would be "authentically Disney and distinctly Emirati".
Yas Island, totalling 25 sq km, is 20 minutes from downtown Abu Dhabi and 50 minutes from Dubai.
Miral boss Mohamed Abdalla Al Zaabi said bringing a Disney theme park resort to the area marked a "milestone in our journey to further advance the island's position as a global destination for exceptional entertainment and leisure".
He said the development would "support sustained economic growth in Abu Dhabi and beyond".
Disney also announced on Wednesday better than expected results for the first quarter of 2025, with revenue up by 7% to $23.6bn (17.7bn).
The Disney+ streaming platform added 1.4 million customers to the company. Disney had previously predicted a slight decline in subscribers due to a price increase.
US park attendance rose with visitors spending more, and there was also a rise in cruise ship bookings following the launch of the companys new ship Disney Treasure.
Iger said: "Despite questions around any macroeconomic uncertainty or the impact of competition, I'm encouraged by the strength and resilience of our business.
The Daily Star recently reported that four critically ill children were given the magical opportunity to perform at Disneyland Paris alongside Eurovision's Sam Ryder, turning their dreams into a reality. Nine year olds Molly Townsend-Blazier and Jax Morris, together with Habiba Konate Naim, 13, and Eve Wilson, 16, took to the spotlight to belt out a new tune, 'Viva La Musique', with the renowned artist.
The heartwarming event was a collaborative effort between Disneyland Paris, Make-A-Wish, and Sam Ryder. Prior to the performance, the youngsters joined Sam at AIR Studios in Hampstead, London, for an exclusive rehearsal in a studio that has seen the likes of Coldplay, Adele, Sir Elton John and Sir Paul McCartney.
For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here .
Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
[Google Preferred Source Badge]At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Accept| Web Proxy Viewer | New URL | Original Page |