| [ Web Proxy ] |
| Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/funeral-notice-m9-crash-victim-37566956 | [Back] [Original] |
A wave of abuse has forced the removal of the funeral notice published for one of the teenagers killed in the wrong-way M9 crash.
Ireland has been shocked by the tragedy which claimed the lives of five teenagers and seriously hurt a family-of-four, including a seven-year-old boy on Sunday. The horror smash on the M9 occurred when the teenagers drove a BMW on the wrong side of the motorway at more than 74mph and collided with the family's Hyundai, as they t ravelled to Dublin airport to fly to the UK for a wedding.
Grieving families published tributes to the five teens, and a funeral notice for Joe Carthy, 15. However, it has since emerged his funeral notice, published on RIP.ie , has been removed after a flood of angry and abusive comments appeared in its online condolences section, the Irish Mirror reports.
It is understood that the death notice was removed due to an influx of negative and abusive comments in the condolences section where people expressed their anger about the circumstances in which the group of teens drove the BMW the wrong way down the M9 motorway.
Gardai said the car was driven in excess of 74mph on the wrong side of the rural motorway. Videos have emerged captioned last spin boys which reportedly show the teens driving a BMW on a main road.
The other four teenagers who died, Kamil Pustkowski, 17, from Limerick; Jack Kennedy, 17, from Athy; Jeremy OBrien, 18, from Carlow; and Alex McCarthy, 17, also from Carlow, have not yet had funeral notices published. Tributes have been paid to some members of the group.
The Irish TImes has reported that RIP.ie, which is owned by The Irish Times Group, said it did not comment on individual funeral notices.
Undertaker Joe Rigney, of Rigney's Funeral Directors, declined to comment on the removal of the notice, the Irish Times reports.
Gardai also confirmed on Tuesday they no longer believed the car had been stolen from Athy. Detectives said it was purchased legitimately by an associate of the teenagers a week earlier for 1,100 (940).
Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
[Google Preferred Source Badge]At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Accept| Web Proxy Viewer | New URL | Original Page |