| [ Web Proxy ] |
| Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/man-51-dies-after-having-25054349 | [Back] [Original] |
A 51-year-old man died in a busy shopping centre after a complete stranger with a knife walked up behind him and slit his throat, a court has heard.
Michael John Eaton was attacked at the Cairns Central Shopping Centre in Queensland, Australia, on Wednesday, September 22.
Acting Detective Inspector Kevin Goan said that victim may have ignored his assailant shortly before the unprovoked attack occurred.
"There had been that engagement, that engagement doesn't appear to have been responded to by the victim, it simply ranting by the offender", he told reporters on Thursday.
"And then, unbeknownst to the victim, he's assaulted from behind."
Despite the best efforts of bystanders and paramedics, Mr Eaton died of his injuries in under an hour, reports 7 News.
Det Insp Goan thanked the shopping centres security for their swift action in cordoning off the area to ensure more people did not witness the distressing crime scene.
He added that security staff had also helped officers to detain the accused, the Australian Associated Press reports.
You can sign up to receive the latest news headlines from the Daily Star, and much much more by clicking here.
The shopping centre has provided police with CCTV footage of the events leading up to the deadly attack, but they have appealed for witnesses who may have spoken either to Mr Eaton or to the suspect, Nicholas George Boak.
Boak was arrested at the scene. He has been charged with murder and appeared in Cairns Magistrates Court earlier today, Thursday September 23.
The case has been adjourned until December 15.
Mr Eaton was a well-liked local who became a regular fixture at the shopping centre after health problems forced him to give up work.
Det Insp Goan says Mr Eatons easygoing personality made the random attack even harder to understand: As I say, the experience that he has had with many within the shopping centre, there's been nothing adverse that has been brought to our attention, quite the opposite," he said.
"He was considered to be quite a pleasant man and his engagements with others were quite happy engagements, not something that would work this type of actions towards him."
Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
[Google Preferred Source Badge]At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Accept| Web Proxy Viewer | New URL | Original Page |