| [ Web Proxy ] |
| Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/mh370-bombshell-investigator-says-smoking-36795518 | [Back] [Original] |
Twelve years on from the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 a new possible search location for the missing airliner has been put forward.
Kansas businessman Randy Rolston has released a new analysis of the mystery, which identifies a specific area of the Indian Ocean that could contain the main wreckage of the lost Boeing 777.
He says that an unexplained spike in carbon monoxide that was detected by NASA on the morning of March 8, 2014 could be a smoking gun that pinpoints the spot where the aircraft plunged into the sea.
In his detailed 19-page report, Randy theorises that 52-year-old Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah had planned to crash his plane into a particular deep area of the Indian Ocean known as the Wharton Basin, where any evidence of what he had done would be almost impossible to find.
The 621-square-mile region is roughly 683 miles off the coast of Western Australia. Some areas of the Indian Ocean are over 1,000ft deep, with giant deep-sea cliffs and submerged volcanoes making the sea floor a particularly challenging search target.
While several pieces of debris washed ashore on islands in the western Indian Ocean during 2015 and 2016 that confirmed to have originated from Flight 370, the location of the main body of the aircraft and the bodies of the 227 passengers and 12 crew that were aboard on that fateful night remains unknown.
Randy has urged the authorities to search this new area almost 1,000 miles north of the area already searched because the victims families deserve answers. Finding the aircraft would finally provide them with a measure of clarity and closure, he said.
The fate of Flight MH370 remains one of the greatest mysteries in aviation history, with the most significant death toll. The aircraft had left Kuala Lumpur n the early hours of March 8, 2014, heading for Chinese capital Beijing. Around 38 minutes after takeoff, the crew made a routine radio transmission to air traffic controllers, and nothing was heard from the aircraft again.
Minutes later, MH370 disappeared from air traffic controllers radar screens but was still tracked on military radar. The plane turned sharply away from its planned course eventually disappearing out of range of Malaysian military radar at around 2am, local time.
Satellites continued to receive regular signals from the plane indicating it was still flying until just after 8am.
It has been theorised that the the passengers and crew had been deliberately starved of oxygen and would have been unconscious as the aircraft continued over the southern Indian Ocean on autopilot until it eventually ran out of fuel.
The Australian-led multinational search of MH370 is already the most expensive in aviation history, but Randy believes that large parts of the proposed search area were missed during the original 2014 search.
He says that contrary to the authorities official verdict, the plane is very likely to have been deliberately crashed into the ocean roughly 680 miles east of Coral Bay in Western Australia.
Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
[Google Preferred Source Badge]At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Accept| Web Proxy Viewer | New URL | Original Page |