| [ Web Proxy ] |
| Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz/married-first-sight-sex-shock-37182833#comments-wrapper | [Back] [Original] |
MPs have raised concerns about the wider reality telly genre in the wake of the allegations of sexual misconduct and rape made by Married At First Sight contestants.
Dame Caroline Dinenage, chair of the Culture, Media and Sport Committee, wrote to both Ofcom and Channel 4 demanding to know how the horrifying allegations were being investigated, and also queried their wider duty of care policy across all reality shows.
It potentially throws the future of many other programmes into uncertainty.
Dame Caroline said: The horrifying allegations about Married At First Sight raise serious concerns over whether enough is being done to protect people taking part in reality television.
She added that it raises issues about the duty of care to participants in reality TV more generally then asked the broadcaster, what are you doing to assure yourself that the duty of care has been met on other reality programmes commissioned by Channel 4?
Dame Caroline also contacted Ofcom to inquire what powers they have to investigate complaints about the treatment of participants on reality TV.
What steps do you take to make reality TV participants aware of what Ofcom can and cannot do in relation to complaints, wrote Dinenage asking whether they required additional powers.
Channel 4 chief content officer Ian Katz responded with a statement yesterday saying the broadcaster ensured that women involved were kept safe when any issues were raised to us and were given appropriate support.
An Ofcom spokesperson added it had launched an external review into contributor care on MAFS UK and we await its findings.
So far no decision has been made on future series of Married At First Sight, but Channel 4 has removed all previous seasons from its streaming platforms.
On Tuesday, police urged potential victims on Married At First Sight UK to get in touch.
Domestic abuse charity Women's Aid said the allegations made for "disturbing and sobering" viewing.
Have you joined Threads? Follow Daily Star to keep up to date on all things showbiz here
Want all the biggest Showbiz and TV news straight to your inbox? Sign up for our free Daily Star Showbiz newsletter
Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
[Google Preferred Source Badge]At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Accept| Web Proxy Viewer | New URL | Original Page |