| [ Web Proxy ] |
| Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/f1/alonso-ricciardo-piastri-ericsson-f1-27638967 | [Back] [Original] |
A grenade has been lobbed into the F1 driver market by Fernando Alonsos impending switch from Alpine to Aston Martin, with IndyCar star Marcus Ericsson predicting future driver moves.
The two-time world champion stunned the F1 paddock by announcing he will be joining the ambitious Aston Martin squad at the end of the 2022 season. The news also took Alpine by surprise as the Renault-backed squad had been confident of tying the 41-year-old to a new deal.
In fact, Alpine were only made aware of Alonsos move once the news had been made public by Aston Martins media team. While disappointed by Alonsos decision, they seem to have a ready-made replacement in the shape of their highly-rated reserve driver, Oscar Piastri, who has won the F2 and F3 championships in the last two years.
READ MORE: Alpine 'didn't know' Fernando Alonso was signing for Aston Martin
However, in another surprise development, it has emerged that Piastris future may not lie with Alpine after all. The Australian has been strongly linked with McLaren as a replacement for the struggling Daniel Ricciardo and is rumoured to have held talks with the Woking squad.
Alpine team boss Otmar Szafnauer insists they have first option on Piastris services, but is aware of McLarens rumoured interest.
I'm not privy to whatever pre-arrangements he has with McLaren, if any at all, said Szafnauer, reported Autosport. But I hear the same rumours that you do in the pitlane. But what I do know is that he does have contractual obligations to us. And we do to him. And we've been honouring those obligations all year. And those obligations, last through '23, and possibly in '24, if some options are taken up.
Where do you think Oscar Piastri will end up for 2023? Have your say in the comments section below.
However, Szafnauer did concede he had not yet made contact with Piastris manager, ex-Red Bull driver Mark Webber.
Oscar and his camp are considering their options, whatever that means, he said. This just happened on Monday - it's now Tuesday, his manager is in Australia, there's a bit of a time difference.
But I've been trying to get hold of Mark and wrote some text messages and some emails to him, as well. So give us a bit of time. Oscar is our number one preferred candidate. And that's what we're going to do.
Developments like this are why this stage of the year is dubbed the silly season. And IndyCar star and former Sauber F1 driver Marcus Ericsson couldnt help but get involved by giving his predictions for how the saga will unfold.
This years Indy 500 winner is tipping Piastri to replace Ricciardo at McLaren and Pierre Gasly to move to Alpine. He tweeted: After Alonsos middle finger to Alpine switch this is how the rest of @F1 silly season will play out:
"Alpine Ocon-Gasly
"AlphaT Schumacher-Tsunoda
"Mclaren Norris-Piastri
"AlfaR Bottas-Zhou
"Haas Mag-Ricciardo
"Williams Albon-De Vries
"Its called Silly season for a reason.
READ NEXT:
Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
[Google Preferred Source Badge]At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Accept| Web Proxy Viewer | New URL | Original Page |