| [ Web Proxy ] |
| Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/breaking-brendan-rodgers-set-football-36402814 | [Back] [Original] |
Brendan Rodgers is set for a return to management with a club "no one has heard of" after walking out of Celtic.
Rodgers, who also managed Liverpool and Leicester during his career, was last at the helm of Celtic, until he sensationally walked away from the Scottish giants less than 24 hours after a defeat to Dundee. And six weeks later, he looks set to land a huge payday.
His departure was met with a scathing assessment by principal shareholder Dermot Desmond: "When we brought Brendan back to Celtic two years ago, it was done with complete trust and belief in his ability to lead the club into a new era of sustained success.
"Unfortunately, his conduct and communication in recent months have not reflected that trust...
"Regrettably, his words and actions since then have been divisive, misleading, and self-serving. They have contributed to a toxic atmosphere around the club and fuelled hostility towards members of the executive team and the Board.
According to The Athletic, Rodgers has agreed a deal to replace former Real Madrid midfielder Michel Gonzalez at Al-Qadsiah, with the Spaniard sacked on Sunday. Rodgers, who has been linked with numerous posts after walking out of Celtic, is said to be the leading candidate due to his style of play.
The Saudi Pro League club had promising to move swiftly to appoint a replacement and ensure a smooth transition.
Al-Qadsiah are owned by Aramco, the majority state-owned national oil company of Saudi Arabia and boast players such as former Real Madrid defender Nacho Fernandez and ex-German young star Julian Weigl.
They are currently fifth in the Saudi Pro League and view themselves as an up-and-coming force, located near the Bahrain border and are aiming to unseat Steven Gerrard's former club Al-Ettifaq as the main contender in the area.
Al-Qadsiah are also due to move to a new stadium in the New Year - and the club had been keen to appoint a new manager before January to ensure a smooth move.
However, fans have questioned the move on social media, with one even joking "no one has heard of them".
Rodgers had previously been in talks with Saudi, before returning to Celtic in 2023: "I spoke to a few clubs once I'd left Leicester, I spoke to a team in Saudi, but it just didn't feel right," Rodgers said at the time.
"If I wanted to stay in the Premier League, I could've stayed in the Premier League, but Celtic is Celtic."
Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
[Google Preferred Source Badge]At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Accept| Web Proxy Viewer | New URL | Original Page |