| [ Web Proxy ] |
| Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/erling-haaland-real-madrid-transfer-37246124 | [Back] [Original] |
Manchester City have warned of legal action following claims Real Madrid will land Erling Haaland if Enrique Riquelme triumphs in their presidential election. The Spanish powerhouses are currently in the midst of selecting their new president.
Club members will decide between long-standing president Florentino Perez, 79, and Riquelme in a crucial ballot on Sunday. Leading up to that vote, the challenger had pledged to seal a deal for Manchester City striker Haaland.
"If I break my promises regarding either of these players, I've signed a guarantee where I'd pay 100 per cent of membership costs for next season," Riquelme said. "Haaland has a release clause, and he wants to come to Madrid."
JOIN US ON FB! Get all the best sports news and much more on our Facebook page
City have now hit back and have reacted furiously to Riquelme's assertions. A statement from a City spokesperson read: "The stories which have emerged from Spain regarding the future of Erling Haaland are untrue.
"There is no chance of this happening and there is no contractual clause to enable it. We are considering legal action for the use of our player image in this context," reports the Mirror.
City's statement follows equally robust remarks from the Norwegian striker's representatives. In a joint statement, his agent Rafaela Pimenta and his dad Alfie Haaland said: "All very entertaining but not true. We wish all the best for both candidates in the Madrid elections".
[]Gold Star is the latest chapter in the evolution of the Daily Star. Our premium digital service has launched, offering you even more of our brilliant journalism but with even fewer adverts.
And if you do, this is what youll get:
- A new ad-lite subscription service offering unlimited access to Gold Star and our app, as well as a cleaner viewing experience with far fewer ads
- Access to exclusive subscriber-only articles crafted specifically for readers who want their stories to dig a little deeper. This will include unique insight from our writers alongside thought-provoking comment
- Bespoke special offers, rewards and competitions from our partners
- Access our Gold Nuggets, the juiciest picks from the Daily Star - no digging required!
- The most fun you can have with a daily news brand anywhere in the world!
Membership starts at 1.99 a month or 12 for the year. These are both Gold Star launch offers for the next 12 months so make sure you dont miss out.
Click on this article to subscribe
Haaland has consistently been touted for a switch to Madrid throughout his stint at the Etihad Stadium, with suggestions they might trigger a release clause embedded in his contract.
However, the striker demonstrated his dedication to City in January last year by penning a fresh nine-and-a-half year agreement. Haaland, 25, arrived at the club from Borussia Dortmund in 2022 and has since netted a staggering 162 goals - 38 of which arrived this season.
He isn't the sole City star that Riquelme has pledged to bring in this summer should his bid prove successful. Spanish midfielder Rodri also features on his wishlist and Riquelme confirmed that talks regarding a switch to the Bernabeu have already taken place.
He said: "He's a great player, in a position where Madrid need to strengthen. We've spoken to his agent, we have to respect his club, but if I'm president he'll play for Madrid. I'll do everything possible."
Rodri though has stayed silent on his future and said that he would address his the claims after the World Cup: "With a World Cup ahead, my responsibility is to stay focused. Anything related to my future will wait until after the World Cup."
"When a player is approaching the final stage of his contract, it's normal for names to be mentioned. I'm very calm, I know exactly where I stand, and I'll tell you that perhaps if there hadn't been a World Cup, things might be different now."
Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
[Google Preferred Source Badge]At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Accept| Web Proxy Viewer | New URL | Original Page |