| [ Web Proxy ] |
| Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/fifas-coo-sacked-after-criticised-37562329 | [Back] [Original] |
FIFA has sacked one of its most senior figures after he criticised Gianni Infantino's failed World Cup sell-off bid, it is claimed. Kevin Lamour was let go of his position as chief operating officer at football's world governing body on Monday night.
It comes after he released a scathing statement last month criticising FIFA president Infantino, who lost global support over his aborted plan to sell of a stake in the World Cup to private investors.
FIFA did not comment on the terms of the senior executive's departure. But a letter sent to the federation's vice presidents and council members by Mattias Grafstrom, the FIFA secretary general, confirmed he had been sacked.
It reads: "Following recent discussions, FIFA and our Chief Operating Officer, Kevin Lamour have agreed to part ways. This decision was made after careful consideration and with great respect for Kevin, both personally and professionally.
"Kevin joined FIFA in November 2024 and in this time has overseen a period of significant change, including improved relationships with stakeholders and the delivery of several significant projects of joint interest, amongst many other key achievements.
"You will have seen Kevin present in each FIFA Council meeting since his appointment in 2024, and many of you will have had a regular working relationship with Kevin on projects of various kinds since his joining FIFA.
"I felt it was important that I personally provide you this update and I would like to express my gratitude to Kevin for these contributions and for his work and commitment on behalf of FIFA on a daily basis. I wish Kevin all the best for the future."
In a statement, a FIFA spokesperson said : "FIFA can confirm that the working relationship between FIFA and Kevin Lamour as FIFA's Chief Operating Officer has ended on 17 August 2026.
"FIFA thanks Kevin for his two years of service and wishes him the best of luck for the future."
Lamour, long-time colleague of Infantino at both FIFA and UEFA, wrote in July that staff were "deceived" by Infantino's lack of openness in planning the sale over recent months and "deserve better than contempt and intimidation".
He wrote: "It is the project of one person. Not only must this project not go ahead... but the time has now come for football political leaders to ask themselves the right questions and make the right decisions."
A FIFA spokesperson said : "FIFA can confirm that the working relationship between FIFA and Kevin Lamour as FIFA's Chief Operating Officer has ended on 17 August 2026. FIFA thanks Kevin for his two years of service and wishes him the best of luck for the future."
Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
[Google Preferred Source Badge]At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Accept| Web Proxy Viewer | New URL | Original Page |