[ Web Proxy ]
URL:
Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/footballer-arrested-after-punching-referee-37537966 [Back]  [Original]

Footballer arrested after 'punching referee' over red card as police rush onto pitch - Daily Star


Skip to main content
The Daily Star: News with a Wink

Footballer arrested after 'punching referee' over red card as police rush onto pitch

A footballer was arrested after he allegedly punched a referee following a red card - causing police to rush onto the pitch from the stands, where they had been acting as security

A footballer has been arrested after punching a referee to the ground(Image: Jam Press)

A footballer has been arrested after allegedly punching a referee to the ground in retaliation for being shown a red card.


Footage filmed from the stands shows the player seemingly lunging at the official and flooring him with a single, forceful punch to the face. Gasps could be heard from spectators as police officers providing security at the match rushed onto the pitch and grabbed the player before he could leave.


The violent scenes unfolded during a regional league match in Capitn Bermdez, Argentina, on Sunday (August 9) afternoon. The suspected assault took place in the 35th minute, with the score at 1-1, after referee Hugo Walter Masuelli sent off Club Barrio Quinta player Jorge Godoy for a foul on the edge of his own penalty area.


Jorge Godoy had been sent off for a foul before he punched the referee(Image: Jam Press)

JOIN US ON FB! Get all the best sports news and much more on our Facebook page

In retaliation for the red card, Godoy, 35, allegedly punched 53-year-old Masuelli in the right cheekbone, leaving him sprawled on the grass. Police officers intervened immediately and arrested Godoy.


Although his team-mates tried to prevent officers from taking him away, they escorted him to a local police station, where he was placed at the disposal of the duty prosecutor.

The referee received medical attention at the scene and was later taken to a local health centre for further checks. The match was suspended as a result of the incident, as reported by NeedToKnow.


Barrio Quinta, the visiting team, said in a statement: Our club considers any type of assault, threat, insult or violent behaviour, whether on or off the pitch, to be absolutely unacceptable.

These acts do not represent the values we promote or the sporting spirit that should prevail at every match.

We also express our solidarity and support for the referee involved, as well as for everyone who may have been affected by the incident.

Article continues below

The home team, Club Santa Catalina, said it would not file a report and would instead await a decision from the Sanlorencina Regional Football League and its Disciplinary Tribunal.

ENJOYED THIS STORY?

Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.

Google Preferred Source Badge [Google Preferred Source Badge]




2026 a Reach plc subsidiary
reach logo [reach logo]

At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.

Accept
Web Proxy Viewer  |  New URL  |  Original Page