| [ Web Proxy ] |
| Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/liverpool-jurgen-klopp-news-salah-36952709 | [Back] [Original] |
Liverpool supporters savoured life under Jurgen Klopp once more at the weekend when the beloved German returned to Anfield for a charity match against Borussia Dortmund.
Klopp's replacement, Arne Slot, achieved the unthinkable by securing the Premier League title in his debut campaign with the Reds. Yet it hasn't been plain sailing since, with the Reds faltering in the league. Klopp's brief return captivated many, and the Champions League-winning manager has now delivered a message to those fans.
With the international break underway, the Reds are also still processing the announcement that Mohamed Salah will depart the club at the season's end. Here, the Daily Star Sport looks at the latest Liverpool news.
Klopp has voiced his appreciation to Liverpool for the welcome he received on his "homecoming" to Merseyside. The former Reds boss remains an eternal legend at Anfield after bringing Premier League, Champions League, FA Cup, League Cup and Club World Cup success during almost nine years with the club.
Klopp was given a hero's reception as he oversaw a thrilling 2-2 draw at Anfield, which raised funds for the LFC Foundation. Goals from Jay Spearing and Thiago helped the Reds secure the draw. Klopp shared on Instagram on Monday evening, posting multiple pictures from his visit and writing: "Thank you to everyone who made my homecoming so special. Enjoyed every second.
"My role was definitely not to have a lot of words. I was here for the Foundation and to be part of a really special experience. For me, a very special experience after a while being around, being that close, seeing all the Liverpool lads and then seeing the Dortmund lads as well, because that was like 80 per cent of my players.
"And you don't meet very often and have them all together in one room. It's really cool. It was really, really, really nice. And the people suck it in. It's just so nice to see all the boys playing but I think Thiago alone was worth the ticket!"
JOIN US ON FB! Get all the best sports news and much more on our Facebook page
Since Salah announced his end-of-season departure, various candidates have surfaced as potential replacements. Bayern Munich's Michael Olise, RB Leipzig's Yan Diomande and Juventus winger Francisco Conceicao have all been touted.
The ECHO reported last week that Liverpool were monitoring Portugal international Conceicao, but enquiries with several sources at Anfield have played down interest in the 23-year-old. "I know people talk about a big club, but I play for a big club where I am happy," Conceicao said last week when asked directly about Liverpool interest. "At the moment I am only focused on these two games with the national team, and then I will focus on the final stretch of the season to help my club as much as possible."
Liverpool enjoy a solid partnership with RB Leipzig and have worked together on numerous deals in recent years. However, discussions of 100million-plus for 19-year-old Diomande will surely need to be scaled back for any transfer to materialise.
"People made [Liverpool] out to be my dream club," Diomande said last month. "But first and foremost, it's my dad's favourite club. It was always his great wish to see me play there someday because he loves the atmosphere at Anfield. He always raved about Steven Gerrard."
Olise is considered off-limits at this point. The 24-year-old's reputation has soared since departing Crystal Palace for Bayern, but a prospective deal for the France international could reach club-record territory for Liverpool.
Bayern have zero interest in entertaining bids for Olise at present either. "We're not even considering that," Bayern sporting director Max Eberl told German publication BILD last week. "He's an FC Bayern player and has all the opportunities here that top players could wish for."
Within Liverpool, there's a conviction that they're committed to seeing Florian Wirtz, Hugo Ekitike and Alexander Isak feature alongside each other more regularly. The three summer acquisitions have shared the pitch for merely 88 minutes this campaign, suggesting Salah's successor might already be at the club, with the Reds hierarchy resolved to maximise the potential of this trio next season.
Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
[Google Preferred Source Badge]At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Accept| Web Proxy Viewer | New URL | Original Page |