| [ Web Proxy ] |
| Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/liverpool-news-transfers-adam-wharton-37095319 | [Back] [Original] |
As Liverpool's disappointing campaign draws to a close, the Merseyside giant are looking towards next season.
Champions League qualification is now virtually guaranteed for 2026/27. That should be enough for Arne Slot to keep his job, after a woeful defence of their Premier League title. The Dutchman has faced relentless scrutiny throughout the season with his team a pale imitation of last year's champions.
But the Reds climbed to fourth in the Premier League after their 3-1 triumph over Crystal Palace last Saturday and could even go third with a victory over bitter rivals Manchester United at Old Trafford on Sunday. Here's all the latest news from Anfield.
JOIN US ON FB! Get all the best sports news and much more on our Facebook page
Liverpool icon Steven Gerrard has been without a managerial role since departing Saudi Pro League outfit Al-Ettifaq last year but has now become the bookmakers' top choice to take charge at Burnley, reports the Mirror.
Thursday's confirmation that Scott Parker had left the recently-relegated club by mutual consent came with the Clarets facing Championship football next season following a 1-0 defeat to Manchester City last week.
Gerrard and his former Reds team-mate Craig Bellamy - currently in charge of Wales - have been swiftly linked with the vacancy. As it stands, bookies William Hill have Gerrard as the 4/7 favourite to be at the helm at Turf Moor next season.
A switch to the Championship would see Gerrard follow in the footsteps of Frank Lampard, who opted to drop down a division to take over at Coventry City last year. The Chelsea legend has since guided the Sky Blues back to the Premier League in his first full season in charge.
So far, there's been no indication from the Reds that they're looking to part ways with Slot, who has already spoken about the club's transfer intentions this summer.
However, should owners Fenway Sports Group decide to make a change, ex-Liverpool midfielder Danny Murphy reckons Luis Enrique is the ideal man to take the reins at the Premier League heavyweights.
Speaking to Betarades, Murphy stated: "For me, there is one outstanding candidate - Luis Enrique. Could Liverpool maybe tempt him, especially if he wins the Champions League again? Maybe he would feel like he needs a new challenge.
"He is a phenomenal coach and when you watch PSG play, you kind of feel that is how I want my team to play. I am torn, just like a lot of Liverpool fans are.
"A part of me does feel like Arne Slot deserves the chance to redeem himself after his brilliant first season. The circumstances he has had to deal with this season have been tough in many ways.
"But if there is somebody out there who feels they can move the team more forward quickly, then yes, make the change. The biggest thing is that I have very rarely seen a Liverpool fanbase, a majority of the fanbase, turn on a manager quite so quickly through a bad spell."
Adam Wharton has been linked with a big summer transfer and Liverpool are thought to be admirers of the England man.
The Crystal Palace midfielder, who has also drawn the interest of Manchester United, has emerged as a candidate to take on the holding role in the engine room of Slot's team, allowing Ryan Gravenberch to play in his natural more advanced midfield role.
Wharton told Sky Sports that he pays little attention to what is being said - despite admitting he is flattered by the speculation. He said: "Obviously the praise is good and being linked with big clubs its obviously a compliment in a way.
"As much praise as you get, theres also the other side of it where other people dont think you are doing very well or other clubs dont want you because they dont like this thing about you.
"I don't really pay attention to it. I know that Im doing well. The coach will tell me. To them, theyre the ones who can have the biggest impact on me and help me develop my career.
"The outside ones, I dont really focus on it. I just try to focus on myself."
Palace are anticipated to seek between 60m and 70m for the 22-year-old, considering he's contracted until 2029 and is only beginning to reach his professional prime.
Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
[Google Preferred Source Badge]At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Accept| Web Proxy Viewer | New URL | Original Page |