| [ Web Proxy ] |
| Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/rangers-star-dujon-sterling-hit-37113730 | [Back] [Original] |
Rangers footballer Dujon Sterling has been slapped with a fine exceeding 2,000 and banned from driving for a year after he confessed to drink-driving and reckless driving.
Sterling, 26, admitted to driving at "excessive speeds" on roads including Queen Street, Hope Street and West Graham Street in Glasgow before smashing into a barrier near the M8 on 4 January this year.
He conceded a charge of reckless driving when he appeared at Glasgow Sheriff Court on Tuesday (May 5).
The footballer also confessed to driving with 60 microgrammes (mcg) of alcohol in 100 millilitres (ml) of breath, surpassing the legal limit of 22mcg of alcohol in 100ml of breath.
Sheriff Mary Shields fined him 750 for the reckless driving charge, 1,500 for the drink driving offence and prohibited him from driving for 12 months.
Fiscal depute Christa Lindsay informed the court that police arrived at the scene in the early hours of January 4 after a witness reported a vehicle crash.
She said: "Police saw the accused outside of the vehicle on his mobile phone.
"He told them he had not suffered any injuries. He stated that he had lost control and veered towards the protective barrier before crashing into it.
"Police said that the accused appeared to be in a dazed condition.
"He was cautioned and required to provide a specimen of breath. He co-operated and failed the roadside breath test and was taken to a police station."
She informed the court that CCTV footage depicted Sterling driving in an "uncontrolled manner, narrowly missing a vehicle" in the city centre during the early hours of January 4.
The prosecutor stated that the footage showed him driving "erratically" and at one point having to "heavily brake" to avoid a collision.
Sheriff Mary Shields enquired about the duration of the journey.
Ms Lindsay indicated that the distance covered was approximately 1.5 miles and that the speed limit in the area was 30mph.
She mentioned that while there is no speedometer reading of the vehicle's speed, it was estimated to be travelling "in excess" of the speed limit.
Sterling was initially charged with dangerous driving but the charge was revised to one of careless driving.
Ronnie Simpson, representing Sterling, said the footballer acknowledges that he should not have been driving that night.
He stated: "His employer has imposed a financial penalty on him. He had been celebrating the conclusion of an important day at his place of work.
"He is under no illusion that he should not have been driving. He has been punished in some respect by his employer."
Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
[Google Preferred Source Badge]At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Accept| Web Proxy Viewer | New URL | Original Page |