[ Web Proxy ]
URL:
Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/victory-daily-star-campaign-after-37528628 [Back]  [Original]

Victory for Daily Star campaign after former Arsenal star's tragic death - Daily Star


Skip to main content
The Daily Star: News with a Wink

Victory for Daily Star campaign after former Arsenal star's tragic death

The FA has committed to banning solid walls around football pitches for good after a campaign spearheaded by the Daily Star and backed by the friends and family of Billy Vigar, who died aged 21

Billy Vigar previously played for Arsenal(Image: David Price/Arsenal FC via Getty Images)

Football chiefs have praised a Daily Star Sunday campaign that helped push The Football Association (FA) to tear down walls around pitches to protect players.

We launched our Balls To Walls drive following the death of former Arsenal youth player Billy Vigar, 21, died after sustaining a significant brain injury while playing for Chichester City at Wingate and Finchley FC in September 2025.

This paper joined other campaigners in demanding a safety review was launched following the tragedy And on Friday family and friends close to Billy were left overwhelmed after The FA moved to ban solid perimeter walls around pitches for good.

A source close to the family, said: This is bittersweet. This should have been in place before but at least now it is. It has broken all of us locally and everyone remains affected to this day. It must never happen again.


Billy Vigar died days after sustaining a serious head injury during a football match(Image: @ChichesterCity)

Other clubs local to the area where Billy died have spoken in support of our campaign and welcomed the change.

Chairman of Wick Football Club, Matt Lander said: Football is a game for the community and the community was heartbroken at what happened, for this to happen anywhere is a tragedy.

Im glad the FA have listened to the Daily Star Sunday and to other campaigners and have taken these measures to keep players safe. No one should go to play a football game and not come home.


Clubs in the National League system - from step 1 to step 6 - must now remove brick or concrete walls around pitches or use padding to cover them, an announcement was made on Thursday.

Top dogs in the football world carried out an in depth safety review prompted by the death of Chichester City forward Billy, after he collided with a concrete barrier trying to keep a ball in play during a match at Wingate and Finchley.

Following a safety review, and pressure from campaigners, the FA has published new pitch perimeter criteria which no longer permits solid brick, breeze block or concrete barriers around pitches for clubs competing across the National League system for men (steps 1-6) and the Womens National League (tiers 3-4).


New guidance reads: Any existing solid brick, breeze block or concrete barriers must be removed as soon as reasonably practicable, or covered with suitable protection if they cannot be removed for structural reasons.

We have informed the clubs at this level that will be required to take action as a result of these changes.

Matches may continue to be played at affected grounds during this period; however, clubs should assess the safety of their pitch perimeter barriers on an ongoing basis, and where alterations to these structures have been recommended during this review, they should develop a plan to complete any such alterations within a reasonable timeframe.

Billy's friends and family backed our campaign(Image: Arsenal FC via Getty Images)


The Daily Star Sunday understands that so far of the approximately 900 clubs that play at the relevant levels, around 160 have been contacted so far regarding at least one element of their stadium which must be modified.

The FA and Premier League will provide funding to facilitate the changes.

After Vigars death, a petition calling for a ban on brick walls around football pitches has received more than 4,000 signatures.

The government and the Professional Footballers Association wrote to the FA, Premier League, English Football League and National League in June 2023, calling on them to adopt a more proactive approach to player safety in this area


That came after Bath Citys Alex Fletcher suffered a fractured skull after colliding with a concrete advertising hoarding during a match in November 2022.

ENJOYED THIS STORY?

Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.

Google Preferred Source Badge [Google Preferred Source Badge]Follow Daily Star:


2026 a Reach plc subsidiary
reach logo [reach logo]

At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.

Accept
Web Proxy Viewer  |  New URL  |  Original Page