| [ Web Proxy ] |
| Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/other-sports/wimbledon-ace-who-quit-lingerie-37421103 | [Back] [Original] |
A scorching hot Wimbledon star, who swapped tennis for modelling, is eyeing a comeback to the sport - despite being 30 weeks pregnant.
Camila Giorgi announced her return to professional tennis following a sudden retirement earlier this year, after the Italian departed the sport in 2024 and concentrated partly on a modelling career.
The former world No.26 was unexpectedly registered as a retired player on the International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) website in May 2024, removing herself from anti-doping testing requirements essential to compete in professional tennis.
JOIN US ON FB! Get all the best sports news and much more on our Facebook page
Circumstances became complex when the WTA disclosed they had been unable to reach Giorgi, and during this time, Italian media reported that she had fled her native Italy for the United States, as tax officials sought to question her concerning irregularities in her tax filings.
She later dismissed accusations of tax fraud. Several days afterwards, the former Wimbledon quarter-finalist released a statement confirming her retirement and condemning "inaccurate rumours about [her] future plans."
Giorgi and her father Sergio were also accused of stealing furniture from an Italian villa and leaving without paying six months of rent.
[]Gold Star is the latest chapter in the evolution of the Daily Star. Our premium digital service has launched, offering you even more of our brilliant journalism but with even fewer adverts.
And if you do, this is what youll get:
- A new ad-lite subscription service offering unlimited access to Gold Star and our app, as well as a cleaner viewing experience with far fewer ads
- Access to exclusive subscriber-only articles crafted specifically for readers who want their stories to dig a little deeper. This will include unique insight from our writers alongside thought-provoking comment
- Bespoke special offers, rewards and competitions from our partners
- Access our Gold Nuggets, the juiciest picks from the Daily Star - no digging required!
- The most fun you can have with a daily news brand anywhere in the world!
Membership starts at 1.99 a month or 12 for the year. These are both Gold Star launch offers for the next 12 months so make sure you dont miss out.
Click on this article to subscribe
In October 2024, she appeared on Italian TV programme Verissimo, denying all allegations of tax fraud and theft. Giorgi said: "The problems with the tax authorities? My family did not know about them, they were created by outside people who managed me and did this as a job."
Giorgi has been savouring her retirement and no longer resides in Italy. When she initially retired, reports suggested she wanted to concentrate on her emerging career as a lingerie model. Giorgi continues to post photos from modelling shoots on her social media.
She remained linked to tennis and conducted interviews with tennis players on behalf of IEB+ at last year's ATP 250 tournament in Buenos Aires. The 34 year old has also recently announced the start of her own tennis camps.
The former Canadian Open champion also married ex-Argentine tennis player and coach Andrea Pasutti and they are expecting their first child, a boy. According to her Instagram bio, Giorgi and her husband live in Mallorca.
However, the 34-year-old is now planning a comeback to the WTA Tour in 2027, confirming the news during an Instagram Q&A on Tuesday. One fan asked: "Will you come back to tournament tennis in the future?" Giorgi responded: "Yes in 2027."
She continued to answer questions about her planned return during the Q&A. When asked if she was making a comeback, Giorgi said: "Yes, next year." She also wrote: "Now I'm a coach, but I'm training for 2027."
When questioned about which tournaments she would participate in during 2027, the former world No. 26 replied saying: "I still don't know."
Giorgi, however, has been back on the court training despite showing off her baby bump. In a recent video on social media, she is seen volleying a rally with her coach, captioning the post: "Hitting session...almost 30 weeks!"
Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
[Google Preferred Source Badge]At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Accept| Web Proxy Viewer | New URL | Original Page |